Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
There are no education or experience requirements for this class.
To be successful in this position you must be able to effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors and the campus community. This position may require you to work in a team so the candidate should have strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. You must possess and have proven positive customer service skills; must also possess good listening skills and be able to understand and follow written and/or oral instructions.
Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
This position requires traveling within and between campuses, when required to operate motor vehicles, you must possess a valid New York State drivers license for the type of vehicle operated.
• Plumbing experience
• HVAC experience
• Fall Arrest training
• Lock-out/Tag-out training
• Completed HVAC training
• Confined Space training
• Chemical Treatment training
• General Mechanic experience
• Boiler training/experience
You will be working near and on electrical equipment, gas-fired equipment, pressure vessels, and other equipment and in conditions that could potentially be hazardous if industry best-practices and safety procedures are not followed. The successful candidate is required to have confidence in their own abilities, and be able to work safely and proficiently on this equipment and in this environment, at any time of day or day or week.
Bending, twisting, ability to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders, access equipment located on mezzanines, catwalks, basements and crawlspaces. Ability to work off ladders, scaffolding, in confined spaces and/or where air monitoring may be required. Work in loud/noisy dusty/dirty environments. Candidate must be able to stand, walk, lift, carry, reach, push and pulling of material and equipment and must be able to perform the physical demands of the position as outlined in the Position Summary.
Duties Description Position Summary:
The Facilities department at the University at Buffalo invites applications for our Facility Operations Assistant 1 (Utilities) position. Your responsibilities will include:
• Assist in routine maintenance of equipment.
• Perform specific tasks as directed in performing maintenance and repairs on mechanical and electrical equipment, steam, gas and water lines, and other related plumbing heating or ventilation equipment.
• As directed, perform specific tasks in operating utility plant equipment including heating, ventilating and air-conditioning equipment to learn operating procedures.
• Lubricate machinery and other preventative maintenance tasks in the boiler, chiller, pump and mechanical equipment rooms.
• Participate in in-service training courses and on-the-job instruction relative to utility plant operation and engineering.
• Clean parts, equipment, equipment areas, and painting of HVAC equipment and related areas.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Departmental Operating Needs:
• The candidate must demonstrate the ability to understand directions
• General knowledge of maintenance tools and skills is required
• This position requires traveling within and between campuses. A valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS is required, or candidate should otherwise demonstrate his/her capacity to meet the transportation needs of the position.
• The candidate will have the opportunity for continued training and education
• Candidate must be safety conscious and aware of hazards
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.