Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
To qualify for this position, you must have one or more of the following:
• Successful completion of NYS two-year Plumber & Steamfitter Traineeship or NYS two-year plumbing training program;
• Successful completion of any equivalent plumbing two-year training or apprenticeship program;*
• Four (4) years of full-time experience in plumbing under a skilled journey level plumber which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in plumbing or training gained by completion of technical courses in plumbing at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year for year basis.
*Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of C or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on the job training.
• Certifications earned, completed relevant training, or other documentation that illustrates depth of knowledge in plumbing, steamfitting & HVAC
• Ability to understand control drawings
• Experience with Building Management systems
• Computer competency
• Ability to work in mechanical and confined spaces
• Appointees will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job
Duties Description Position Summary:
Facilities Operations at the University at Buffalo invites applicants to apply for our Trades Specialist Plumber & Steamfitter position supporting the Utilities Operations Controls department.
The incumbent must possess basic knowledge of tools and mechanical equipment used in plumbing and steamfitting applications in support of maintaining building HVAC-R systems and demonstrate proficiency in the safe use of hand and power tools required to perform work tasks.
Key responsibilities include:
• Respond to daily plumbing, steamfitting & HVAC service requests (work orders)
• Diagnose, troubleshoot and repair plumbing, steamfitting & HVAC equipment and control systems of all types found on campus
• Use computer to document service work performed
• Removal / installation of plumbing, steamfitting & HVAC equipment
• Work in all facets of small plumbing, steamfitting & HVAC campus projects
• Provide high level of customer service
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Departmental Operating Needs:
The incumbent must have a journey level understanding of how to operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, construct and test plumbing and steam systems.
The successful candidate:
• Must communicate well with other employees
• Must possess and have demonstrated positive customer service skills
• Must be able to understand and follow written and/or oral instructions
• Must be able to communicate well with the entire campus community and demonstrate a willingness to provide customer service and support when advised of problems and equipment malfunctions
Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
Incumbent of this position must be willing and able to respond to after hour calls resulting from equipment and system failures that may arise at any time of day or any day of the week. The incumbent may be required to work during adverse weather conditions to ensure continuous operation of all plumbing and HVAC systems.
This position requires traveling within and between campuses. A valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS is preferred, or candidate should otherwise demonstrate his/her capacity to meet the transportation needs of the position.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.