75 New Scotland Ave
Minimum Qualifications This position requires a New York State Professional Architect’s License and current registration.
Candidates must have permanent status as Senior Architect, Grade 24, and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be eligible to transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law
PROVISIONAL: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following promotion qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
One year of permanent competitive or 55-b/c service as an Assistant Architect AND possession of a New York State Professional Architect’s License and current registration.
If you are provisionally appointed, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
Individuals certified eligible for the 55b/c program under the Governor’s Program to Hire Persons/Veterans with Disabilities pursuant to Section 55b/c of the Civil Service Law who possess a New York State Professional Architect’s License and current registration, will also be considered. Please provide a copy of your letter of eligibility with your response.
Duties Description The New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) is recruiting to fill a Senior Architect, Grade 24, position assigned to the Administrative Support Services Group (ASSG), Bureau of Capital Operations. ASSG supervises and manages OMH’s capital planning and construction program, and provides direct technical assistance for physical plant operations and maintenance. The incumbent of this position will participate in facility project planning and management of the design, construction and rehabilitation of OMH facilities and buildings. Statewide travel to all Psychiatric Center locations will be required for this position.
Specific duties to be performed may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Travel to project site and prepare measurements, sketches and documents necessary to assist in developing the architectural design of the project;
• Prepare and provide working drawings to contractors, engineers and estimators that accurately reflect the project design and requirements;
• Prepare work scopes, conduct approval reviews of project plans and specifications and manage and track projects through the design and construction process;
• Utilize and maintain project records in the project management system;
• Evaluate project practicability in reference to scope requirements, budget restrictions, and construction schedules;
• Review and monitor projects to resolve emergency building and infrastructure situations;
• Evaluate requests for design changes and provide architectural advice and guidance in reference to proposed changes;
• Review and stamp small capital projects under $250,000;
• Participate and assist in the selection of projects necessary to maintain The Joint Commission (TJC) accreditation, meet fire safety requirements, preserve the physical plant and infrastructure, enhance the programs offered to OMH clients, and ensure the health and safety of clients, staff and visitors at OMH facilities;
• Assist in developing annual capital budget requests for specific projects and programs, including annual spending plans;
• Review and approve contract change orders submitted for previously approved projects;
• Make field visits and inspections as required to investigate code compliance, complaints or emergency conditions and provide on-site technical advice;
• Participate with consulting services contracted through the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY), Office of General Services, and OMH to resolve code and regulations violations and establish and maintain compliance management;
• Serve as the agency Historic Preservation Officer; and
• Perform special projects as required.
Additional Comments *Based on federal and/or state regulations, this position requires vaccination against COVID-19. Upon appointment, the selected candidate must be fully vaccinated, or willing to become fully vaccinated, against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. Candidates who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of interview may not start working until two weeks after their final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Specific scheduled hours and telecommuting availability for this position will be discussed during the interview process. Please note, employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to operational needs and Agency Telecommuting Program Guidelines.
The Administrative Support Services Group is conveniently located in independent offices on the grounds of the Capital District PC at 75 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, New York. Guaranteed covered parking with exclusive employee entrance to office areas is available for $5/month.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a particular focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. The Office of Mental Health embraces diversity and promotes a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, and respected. The New York State Office of Mental Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
44 Holland Avenue
Notes on ApplyingTo be considered for this position, interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume as an attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position and Vacancy ID #100653 in the subject line of your email when applying.
You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with the Office of Mental Health, you may be required to be fingerprinted and pay a fingerprint fee.