Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
Four years of full-time experience in the electrical trade under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program;
OR an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in the electrical trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services;
OR successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Electrician) traineeship or a two-year electrician training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of “C” or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
• Certifications earned, completed relevant training, or other documentation that illustrates depth of knowledge as an electrician servicing HVAC-R systems
• Ability to understand control drawings
• Experience with Building Management systems
• Computer competency
• Ability to work in mechanical and confined spaces
• Appointees will be required to have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in NYS or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job
Must be physically able to perform all the duties of this position as outlined in the Position Summary. Bending, twisting, ability to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders, access equipment located on mezzanines, catwalks, basements and crawlspaces. Ability to work off ladders, scaffolding, in confined spaces and/or where air monitoring may be required. Work in loud/noisy dusty/dirty environments. Work with or around high-pressure steam, high-voltage electrical systems and rotating equipment.
Duties Description Position Summary:
Facilities Operations at the University at Buffalo invites applicants to apply for our Trades Specialist Electrician position supporting the Utilities Operations Controls department.
The incumbent must possess basic knowledge of tools and mechanical equipment used in electrical applications in support of maintaining building HVAC-R systems and demonstrate proficiency in the safe use of hand and power tools required to perform work tasks.
Key responsibilities include:
• Respond to daily electrical & HVAC service requests (work orders)
• Plan, lay out, and diagnoses problems with electrical systems or equipment
• Diagnose, troubleshoot and repair electrical & HVAC equipment and control systems of all types found on campus
• Use computer to document service work performed
• Removal / installation of electrical & HVAC equipment
• Work in all facets of electrical & HVAC campus projects
• Provide high level of customer service
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Departmental Operating Needs:
The incumbent must have a basic understanding of the concepts of electrical code, equipment, cabling, systems, and wiring standards and how it applies to heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technologies.
The successful candidate must:
• Detail their qualifications and submit appropriate documentation with their application
• Explain and demonstrate their skills and competency for this position
• Communicate well with other employees and customers
• Possess and have demonstrated positive customer service skills
• Understand and follow written and oral instructions
• Be willing and able to respond to after hour calls resulting from equipment and system failures that may arise at any time of day or any day of the week
The incumbent may be required to work during adverse weather conditions to ensure continuous operation of all BMS and HVAC systems.
Since the activities of other employees depend upon the availability of the employee in this position, reliable attendance is a factor that will be considered when filling this vacancy.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.