401 Turin Street
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess New York State certification as a School Administrator/Supervisor, School District Administrator, or School District Leader AND have five years of experience as an educator.
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Experience as an educational administrator;
• Strong leadership and management skills;
• The ability to work as part of a collaborative team, using supervisory and team building techniques to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of educational services;
• Knowledge of laws and regulations that govern the education of students with disabilities;
• Experience in leading the development and implementation of curriculum and assessment; and
• Demonstrated experience in the education of students who are deaf or hearing impaired and have multiple disabilities; and
• Experience in communicating with American Sign Language (ASL).
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s School for the Deaf (NYSSD) is seeking applicants to fill a Superintendent, School for the Deaf position. The incumbent will need to be an experienced and dynamic educator with a demonstrated record of success in working with children with special needs. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide on-site management for all five-day residential programs, school programs, and operations at the NYSSD;
• Achieve and maintain compliance with appropriate federal and State regulations and State Education Department policies, both fiscal and programmatic;
• Assume a leadership role in developing and implementing standards-based curriculum and assessment;
• Lead positive program changes to improve student achievement and outcomes;
• Assume a leadership role in fostering and maintaining a positive culture and climate throughout the NYSSD learning community; and
• Establish and maintain community outreach efforts and relationships.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of certification of New York State certification as a School Administrator/Supervisor, School District Administrator, or School District Leader will be required at the time of interview for all candidates. Candidates are required to possess the required certification at the time of hire, and continued employment as a Superintendent, School for the Deaf is dependent upon maintaining the required certification. Failure to maintain the required certification will result in removal from employment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $141,538 with annual performance advances.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-354/00001) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-354/00001) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.