Office of State Assessment
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a master’s degree or higher and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education or government including professional and educational experience related to large-scale K-12 student assessment.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of P-12 Operational Support is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Commissioner of the Office of State Assessment. The Office of State Assessment is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive testing program for grade K-12 students that measures student progress on the New York State (NYS) Learning Standards and for developing and implementing the NYS Teacher Certification Examinations Program aligned to the NYS Teaching and Educational Leadership Standards. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Direct the work of a statewide operation including test development, test administration, psychometrics, data analysis & research, special populations testing, art and design, and teacher and educational leader certification exams (approximately 80 fulltime and 500 part-time employees);
• Oversee all aspects of the development and administration of the assessments within the NYS Testing Program and the teacher and educational leader certification examinations;
• Manage the development of proposals and procurements related to contracting for student assessment and educator certification examination programs;
• Oversee the development of policy and guidance to ensure NYS’ compliance with federal and State laws and regulations;
• Ensure that technical assistance related to assessment is provided to school districts, parents and other stakeholders in NYS;
• Direct the alignment of policies and procedures for student assessment in NYS;
• Manage the Office’s coordination with networks of technical assistance and professional development statewide to support schools, parents and educators;
• Maintain ongoing dialogue with stakeholders for all issues related to student assessment in NYS and ensure timely and informative communication;
• Ensure the appropriate membership and operation of NYSED’s Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for state assessment;
• Work in collaboration with NYSED’s Office of Counsel relative to all aspects of student assessment in NYS;
• Ensure the Office’s appropriate collaboration in multi-state partnerships focused on innovative assessment programs such as the Dynamic Learning Maps Alternate Assessment, the Stackable, Instructionally-embedded, Portable Science (SIPS) Assessments; and the Collaborative for the Alternate Assessment of English Language Proficiency (CAAELP);
• Represent NYSED at national, regional, and statewide conferences devoted to student assessment;
• Work closely with internal NYSED offices, specifically with the Office of Curriculum and Instruction, to ensure a high-quality assessment program, and
• Work in collaboration with external stakeholders and advocacy groups in support of quality student assessment.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the pleasure of the Commissioner of Education. This position will require 10% Statewide travel. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
APPLICATION: Application review will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is identified. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by to P12jobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2170/13500) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Application review will begin immediately and continue until a successful candidate is identified. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by to P12jobs@nysed.gov (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2170/13500) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.