Minimum Qualifications Appointment Method
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 of the Civil Services Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/.
Please note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutives upward 52.6 or 70.1 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment, if such transfers would result in an increase of more than two salary grades.
Provisional or Non-Competitive Promotion: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service as a Human Resources Specialist 2, SG-23.
Provisional Appointment: A provisional appointment requires that the employee take the next examination for the title and be reachable on the resulting eligible list. All candidates at the highest score are immediately reachable. Candidates at the lower scores can be considered only when there are fewer than 3 candidates at the higher scores. If a provisionally appointed candidate is either not successful on the examination or not immediately reachable on the eligible list, they generally will not be allowed to remain in the position.
Non-Competitive Promotion (NCP): In accordance with Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law, if the number of qualified candidates who apply for the position is three or less, a permanent appointment can be made, at agency discretion, by non-competitive promotion of an applicant who meets the minimum qualifications.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) seeks applicants for the position of Associate Director Human Resources 1 in the Human Resources Management office located in Albany, NY. The Human Resources Management office provides personnel services, staff development, labor relations and employee benefits to staff in various diverse program areas of the Department of Financial Services.
Under the general supervision of the Director Human Resources 2, the incumbent will assist in overseeing staff in planning, directing and evaluating the agency’s personnel program and in other areas of human resources in the absence of the Director Human Resources 2. Duties will include but not be limited to:
• Provides oversight of the classification of new positions, reclassification of existing items, and reallocation and title structure change requests to ensure appropriate position management of the agency;
• Serves as an advisor to agency management in matters relating to staffing, appropriate titles, salaries, and job requirements;
• Assists with oversight of recruitment activities and related staffing processes and ensures that there is an effective and efficient workflow process in place;
• Promotes effective communication and working relationships between Human Resources and customers/stakeholders, such as agency program managers, DFS staff, and Civil Service representatives;
• Supervises and provides oversight of staff development and training activities; and ensures that all activities are consistent with the laws, rules, regulations and policies of the Department of Civil Service, the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations, and the negotiated agreements between employee unions and the State; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Proficiency in HR systems, such as NYSTEP, HRIS, ELMS, and the Microsoft Suite, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Leadership and mentoring abilities, and commitment to teamwork.
• Organizational and multi-tasking skills, with attention to detail, in addition to interpersonal and communication skills.
• High degree of professionalism, strong work ethic and customer service focus.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than May 31, 2022, to the email address listed below. Please include (Box ADHR1-HRM-00729) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.