Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Engineer Trainee (Civil/Transportation) or Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) OR candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Candidates must provide proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (FE) AND obtain a qualifying bachelor’s degree or higher as listed below;
Or must provide proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (FE) AND one year of full-time qualifying engineering experience as listed below.
A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering; Civil Engineering Technology; Construction Engineering; Construction Engineering Technology; Construction Engineering Management Technology; Geological Engineering; Geotechnical Engineering; Hydraulics Engineering; Materials Engineering; Materials Science and Engineering; Metallurgical and Materials Engineering; Structural Engineering; Transportation Engineering or Transportation Planning and Engineering
One year of full time engineering experience with transportation projects related to highways/roadways, railroads, bridges, airports, waterways, building structures or traffic management safety systems.
Duties Description The Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) incumbent reports to a Canal Regional Professional Engineer 4 (Civil/Transportation) or their designee under the close supervision of the higher-level staff, and perform the following engineering and engineering related duties:
• Assumes primary responsibility for day-to-day water management activities in the Eastern Region, including monitoring water levels in the canal and at reservoirs under the Corporation’s jurisdiction.
• Monitors regional weather conditions and communicates timely adjustments of water management activities to canal section staff.
• Collects hydrological and meteorological data from different sources and enter the data in the Canals Infrastructure Management System.
• Generates reports, spreadsheets, voice recordings, and emails on hydrological data to be distributed within the corporation and to public and private stakeholders.
• Enters repair and maintenance data related to water gauges into the Canals asset management software (Maximo), including the creation of work orders, editing work orders, and completing work orders.
• Coordinates with regional planners/schedulers and engineers for work order management as needed.
• Analyzes current and forecasted hydrological and meteorological conditions to determine discharge rates and hydraulic control structure settings for locks and reservoirs within the Canal system.
• Performs hydraulic and hydrologic analysis on Canal assets and infrastructure for water management issues.
• Assists section maintenance staff and engineers within the organization regarding water management statewide.
• Assists other agencies, both public and private, with data requests and water management issues.
• Communicates with Public Relations and the general public on water management issues and complaints.
• Assists in procuring materials, equipment, and services to support the water management program.
• Collaborates with other Assistant Engineers and Canal Management across the Corporation.
• Performs a variety of additional engineering tasks as assigned.
• Regular overtime is required, including evenings and weekends.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying**E-MAIL SUBMISSION PREFERRED**
We are recruiting for one position that will be in either Albany or Utica.
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the position should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 5/4/2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title AND VACANCY NUMBER, Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email email@example.com.