Minimum Qualifications Reachable on the Department of Civil Service Eligible list for Administrative Assistant 1 (formerly Secretary 1), OR permanent or contingent permanent status as an Administrative Assistant 1 OR eligible to transfer into traineeship.
Candidates must demonstrate adequate keyboarding skills by prior service in a keyboarding title OR successful completion of a Keyboard performance test.
*Successful completion of a two-year traineeship leads to appointment as an Administrative Assistant 1, SG-11.
Duties Description The position is in the Civil Recoveries Bureau - SUNY Downstate Medical Center
• Answer telephones, take messages, route calls to appropriate staff members, and greet visitors.
• Answer routine debtor and client questions.
• Make routine calls to debtors, representatives, law firms, process servers, City Marshal and Sheriff, and insurance companies.
• Assist with skip tracing process to locate debtors.
• Arrange for translators and out of area process servers as needed.
• Receive incoming mail, distribute correspondence in accordance with staff assignments, and maintain database with respect to incoming correspondence which may be time sensitive or confidential.
• Review outgoing correspondence for proper grammar and clarity, check for accompanying enclosures, and compose routine correspondence.
• Assist with the preparation of reports requested by our client and agency.
• Review invoices submitted by vendors for attorney approval.
• Order office supplies and equipment.
• Schedule meetings and appointments.
• Gather information/documentation for input into the Credit Collections Accounting System.
• Use WordPerfect, type legal documents using templates or from written or oral instructions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The OAG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you will be required to provide negative COVID-19 test results once weekly. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPreferred method of applying is via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include vacancy ID 103538 in the subject line. Please be sure your submitted cover letter and resume indicate your current Civil Service title.