AgencyParks, Recreation & Historic Preservation, Office of
Occupational CategoryAdministrative or General Management
Bargaining UnitM/C - Management / Confidential (Unrepresented)
Salary RangeFrom $101403 to $128142 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Street Address Shirley Chisholm State Park
950 Fountain Avenue
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree or higher in park or recreation management, public administration, business administration, engineering, landscape architecture, architecture, forestry, environmental studies, environmental, natural or physical science, or a closely related field AND EITHER six (6) years of experience with a large and well-organized park and recreation system OR six (6) years of administrative experience which includes responsibility for organizing and directing a major program or group of programs. The experience described above must include EITHER three (3) years of supervisory experience OR one (1) year of management experience. Substitution: An associate’s degree in a related field and two years of the required specialized experience may substitute for the bachelor’s degree.
Duties Description The Organization:
The New York City Region of the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation is one of eleven Park Regions in New York State. The New York City Region covers 5 counties; New York, Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island) and Bronx. Facilities consist of: 8 parks and 1 historic site, 2 swimming facilities, an ice skating rink, numerous organized sports and recreation programs and 1 educational/nature center and nearly 800 acres of open space. We invite you to learn more about the New York City Region here: https://www.parks.ny.gov/regions/new-york-city/default.aspx
Shirley Chisholm State Park
Shirley Chisholm State Park is the newest and largest state park in the New York City Region. Named for Shirley Chisholm, the Brooklyn-born trailblazer who was the first African-American Congresswoman, as well as the first woman and African-American to run for President. The stunning park located right on Jamaica Bay features 10 car-free miles of trails for hiking and biking, waterfront access for kayaking, environmental education programming and facilities, two piers with shade structures, and a seasonal Bike Library with free loaner bikes for use within the park.
Under the general direction of the Park Director 4, M-4, the Park Director 3 directs and supervises the staff and operations of Shirley Chisholm State Park. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for the direction, administration, supervision and management of the park, which is situated on 407 acres of reclaimed land previously used as a landfill.
• In collaboration with Park Police, establishes and maintains safety and security programs, procedures, and protocols for the park.
• Collaborates with the Regional Director, Park Director 4, construction and engineering staff, and contractors in planning for any park construction, expansion, and development projects.
• Inspects the park to determine the quality of maintenance, horticultural management, and operations.
• Develops plans for improvement, expansion, and development of park programs and operations.
• Establishes positive relationships with community organizations, governmental agencies and service providers, and other interest groups to maximize recreational and environmental education services.
• Maintains positive relationships with community organizations, local government officials, park patrons, and neighborhood groups to promote the park and its programs.
• Maintains positive and productive relationships with the relevant representatives of NYC Department of Environmental Protection and their onsite consultants and contractors.
• Responsible for environmental concerns related to landfill infrastructure, day-to-day operations, and protocols that must be followed when the park is closed.
• Develops and manages the park’s annual budget and spending plan.
• Actively participates in region-wide operations and special projects. Fosters a culture of collaboration.
Additional Comments There is an additional $3,026 location pay.
- Must be knowledgeable in ecological principles and land stewardship practices related to forest and field habitat restoration, living shoreline restoration and management, and landscape architecture;
- Must demonstrate knowledge regarding operation of a park on a former landfill with detailed knowledge of landfill infrastructure, operating plans and closure/remediation plans and procedures;
- Must demonstrate knowledge of road and pathway maintenance, particularly gravel, and have extensive experience solving drainage, tree and seasonal issues;
- Possess strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and activities simultaneously;
- Possess the ability to effectively communicate with staff, park patrons and Regional Administrators, effectively and easily communicate in writing, and prepare effective written materials as directed;
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license as a term and condition of employment;
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address email@example.com
Street Shirley Chisholm State Park
950 Fountain Avenue
Notes on ApplyingIt is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience, and demonstrate that they meet the agency’s operating needs. You may obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, the New York City region’s administrative headquarters, or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at https://parks.ny.gov/employment/park-employment.aspx . Please forward your Part 1 employment application and resume, if available, to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: New York State Parks, Hiring Official, 163 West 125th Street. 17th Floor. New York, NY 10027. If you have any questions concerning the position, please contact Andrew Williams, at Andrew.email@example.com.
Join our team! Come see why it's great to work for New York State Parks!