Office of Special Education
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Education of Children with Disabilities.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Section 70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law to Assistant in Education of Children with Disabilities if they have standing on the Civil Service eligible list for this title and are currently a New York State employee in a title allocated at Grade 20 or higher.
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Education of Children with Disabilities position in the Office of Special Education. This Office works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities, oversees the implementation of federal and State laws and policies for students with disabilities, provides general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools in New York State serving preschool and school-age students with disabilities, and provides technical assistance to parents and school districts. Under the direction of the Supervisor in Education of Children with Disabilities, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for activities, to ensure NYSED compliance with the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist with the development and maintenance of SEDMON surveys, applications, reports, and exports;
• Develop tools and procedures outlining correct steps to follow and basic troubleshooting tips specific to the work of the Preschool Policy Unit;
• Maintain tracking logs and folders for preschool and school age applications as the applications are received;
• Assist with the preparation, planning, reviewing, tracking and reporting of program materials, projects, and reports including the application process and website updates;
• Enter updated information in the EFRT Screen and SEDREF screen;
• Assist with Freedom of Information Law requests;
• Provide information and technical assistance to parents, professionals, school personnel, in person, in writing or by telephone on special education topics/issues, and
• Collaborate with the Office of Counsel, Rate Setting Unit, System to Track and Account for Children Unit, Office of Early Learning and other NYSED offices, as needed.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $95,392 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 20, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2169/00165) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 20, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (P12-2169/00165) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.