Duties Description The Division of Cemeteries, under the supervision of the New York State Cemetery Board, oversees the establishment, maintenance, and preservation of burial grounds for approximately 1,750 public not-for profit cemeteries in New York State. As authorized by the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law, the division works with cemetery officials on a wide range of issues including the sale of lots, service fees, and the acquisition of lands.
The incumbent will perform various professional accounting tasks:
1. Schedule and conduct field examinations of incorporated cemeteries and prepare written reports.
2. Review rate applications and draft board orders based on cemetery request for increases or from review of existing cemetery charges.
3. Review applications for New York State Cemetery Board approval of various projects and prepare recommendations.
4. Examine annual reports submitted by incorporated cemeteries and enter key data in the Division’s database.
5. Complete any special projects as may be assigned.
6. Communicate with the public and cemetery officials concerning cemetery laws, regulations, and industry-standards.
The Senior Accountant will be in the field approximately 33% of his or her time; overnight travel will be required as to between 25-50% of those overnights (i.e., about 10%-15% of total time).
Additional Comments The Department of State is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability status, arrest record or criminal conviction history, or any other category protected by law.
We are happy to provide reasonable and religious accommodations during the hiring process for those in need. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please send a request to HRM.Recruitment@dos.ny.gov.
All Department of State employees are required to be tested weekly for COVID-19 unless they are fully vaccinated. Employees who are vaccinated must provide proof of vaccination status through a secure online portal.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
99 Washington Avenue