SUNY Old Westbury
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Requirements:
• Associate’s degree in Fire Science or a closely related field.
• Minimum of two (2) years experience as a fire safety specialist or a closely related occupation.
• Ability to read and understand construction blueprints, diagrams and specifications.
• Experience interpreting and applying EPA, DEC, NFPA, NYS Fire and Building Codes and OSHA regulations.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Capable of performing physical labor to include carrying and moving items up to 50 pounds.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Certified NYS Building Safety Inspector (BSI) or Code Enforcement Official (CEO).
• NICET (National Institute of Certification in Engineering Technology – Fire Protection) Level II Certification.
• Demonstrated ability to determine training needs, organize and conduct training.
Duties Description SUNY Old Westbury seeks a dynamic, forward thinking and engaging Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist, with a specialization in fire safety, to the join the Facilities Department.
Principal duties include:
The EHS Specialist will be responsible for coordinating fire and life safety systems, fire safety and building code compliance and environmental programs including testing, inspecting, record keeping, and training. Reporting to the Facilities Director, the incumbent will develop and implement health and safety programs for all campus staff and students to ensure compliance with all state and federal code requirements. This position will work with other facilities staff, faculty, and technicians when required for complex work. Must be able to prioritize multiple projects, and work in a demanding fast-paced environment. This is a full-time, twelve (12) month position, with weekend and after-hours work, as required.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform duties related to EHS activities pertaining to fire alarm systems, sprinkler systems and all life safety equipment operations and maintenance throughout the campus.
• Plan and conduct employee and student fire safety training, provide hot work training and issue and monitor hot work permits.
• Coordinate all safety training – Lock Out/Tag, Right to Know, and Electrical NFPA 70E.
• Function as the Campus NYS Building Safety Inspector.
• Coordinate NYS Fire Marshal campus inspections.
• Perform monthly inspections of the University's Fire extinguisher program and fire suppression systems, scheduling required inspections, coordinating repairs, and maintaining mandated record keeping.
• Perform required drills and maintain evacuation plans.
• Perform fire safety inspections and communicate deficiencies to Facilities Department.
• Produce and maintain records and documents associated with required laws.
• Provide environmental support for campus.
• Coordinate safety training.
• Perform Monthly AED inspections and coordinate repairs.
• Understand and interpret NY State Building Code, NY State Fire Code, NFPA and PESH Regulations.
• Respond to emergency conditions, provide EH&S support at campus events as directed, work flexible hours, including weekend and evening work if necessary.
• This position will be expected to possess written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills essential to work with a diverse population of students and colleagues.
SUNY Old Westbury serves large populations of underrepresented, first-generation, and non-traditional students. Candidates with experience working with a similar student body, and a demonstrated commitment to supporting these populations, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Since its foundation in 1965, SUNY Old Westbury has been committed to social justice, diversity, and the empowerment of traditionally underserved populations. The College serves a large proportion of non-traditional students and has earned the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from Insight into Diversity magazine for four consecutive years.
Located on a 604-acre campus on Long Island, Nassau County, about 40 miles from New York City, SUNY Old Westbury comprises four Schools (Education, Business, Arts and Sciences and Professional Studies) with total enrollment of 4400 students, of which approximately 2800 are in B.A., B.S., B.F.A. and M.S. programs offered by the School of Arts and Sciences. For more details about the College at Old Westbury, please refer to our website at www.oldwestbury.edu.
Salary range: $57,846.00 - $63,500.00
Comprehensive benefits package: https://www.suny.edu/media/suny/content-assets/documents/benefits/benefit-summaries/FTUUPbenefitsummary-April-2022.pdf
Additional Comments The successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
The State University of New York at Old Westbury is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to participate in the selection process, please contact the Office of Human Resources/Affirmative Action located in the Campus Center, Room I-211 or by calling (516) 876-3179.
The Annual Security and Fire Report is filed as required by federal law. The purpose of this report is to provide faculty, staff and students with campus safety information, including crime statistics and safety policies and procedures. The report contains information regarding security and personal safety, including topics such as crime prevention, fire safety, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus. The report also contains information about crime statistics for the previous three calendar years. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the University Police Department (516) 876-3333 or by downloading a copy.
Position Type: Professional
Official Budget Title: Environmental Health Officer
Campus Title: Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Negotiating Unit: UUP
Salary Grade: SL-4
FLSA Status: Exempt
Please submit the following online at https://oldwestbury.edu/interviewexchange.com
1. cover letter,
3. contact information (name, email address and telephone number) for three (3) professional references,
4. a fully completed Old Westbury employment application (available during the online application process).
Only applications submitted online will be considered.
This is a full-time UUP position. For the first ten (10) working days applications will be limited to UUP Old Westbury (5/2 – 5/13/2022).
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: May 30, 2022
VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
Employment in this position will be contingent on the College’s verification of credentials and any other information required by federal or state law, and SUNY Old Westbury polices, including the completion of a criminal background check.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
SUNY Old Westbury