Minimum Qualifications Qualifications and skills for the Internet & Technology Analyst position are as follows:
• Bachelor’s degree in any relevant field is required, but applicants with degrees in computer science, information technology or data security, and applicants with advanced degrees, are preferred;
• Applicants with experience and qualifications in any of the following areas are preferred:
o Programming and web development tools, including JAVA, PHP, SQL, Ruby, and with a preference for experience with Python;
o Online privacy and data security;
o Penetration testing;
o Application reverse engineering, preferably in both desktop and mobile (Android and/or iOS) environments;
o Red teaming or an understanding of common TTPs used by threat actors in the real world;
o Linux and container systems administration (e.g. Docker);
o Experience using the Git version control system;
o Ethical hacking and InfoSec certifications (e.g. CEH, OSCP)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical information accessibly;
• Highly organized, self-directed, and resourceful;
• Personable and positive, with sound judgment and a high level of integrity; and
• An interest in public policy and social/economic justice.
Duties Description Goal
The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking a candidate for a full-time Internet and Technology Analyst position in New York City. In this role, the candidate would provide technical expertise to assist the Bureau of Internet and Technology (BIT) and the Research and Analytics Department in investigating and prosecuting high-profile data security, privacy, and online consumer protection matters; building out infrastructure and investigatory tools to support data driven investigations and test the robustness of data security systems; and helping to guide the Office’s policy decisions regarding internet and technology regulations.
Typical investigative work can include: helping determine whether an organization failed to safeguard its customers’ sensitive information by analyzing data breach forensic reports, logs, and security policies; identifying improper and illegal data collection by capturing and inspecting app traffic; and evaluating potentially misleading and deceptive business practices by reviewing technical documents and source code to figure out how third-party software and systems work. Typical infrastructure support includes regularly maintaining a standard docker image for data analysis; maintaining and updating documentation and training materials; assisting with the streamlining and implementation of new tools and protocols; and troubleshooting issues that arise.
Applicants with an engineering skillset are strongly preferred. Experienced and entry-level applicants are encouraged to apply. We are seeking to fill this position immediately.
Employing over 1,800 people across New York State, the OAG is headed by the Attorney General, the “People’s Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. The Research and Analytics Department assists with cases and investigations across the office’s jurisdiction utilizing a robust set of tools and analytical methods. The Department assists in investigations throughout the lifecycle and contributes to internal and external reports garnering national attention. See, for example, Fake Comments: How U.S. Companies & Partisans Hack Democracy to Undermine your Voice. The Bureau of Information and Technology protects consumers and families from new and developing online threats related to a wide range of online and technology issues including child safety, privacy, deceptive or illegal trade practices, consumer fraud, spyware, spam, discrimination, and free speech. BIT’s recent work includes investigations into some of the world’s largest tech companies and credential stuffing attacks impacting more than 1.1 million consumers.
Responsibilities of the Internet & Technology Analyst are as follows:
• Advising on leading concerns for information security and privacy investigations;
• Identifying high risk targets for potential data security failures and concerns;
• Examining source codes of websites and applications in multiple environments (including phones and tablets) to identify potential vulnerabilities and security flaws;
• Providing risk assessments, remediation options, and identify best practices in compliance;
• Providing technical leadership on a wide range of data security and privacy initiatives;
• Reviewing data breach notifications;
• Advising the Bureau on a wide range of internet and technology issues, e.g., privacy, computer security, and encryption standards;
• Compiling, summarizing, and succinctly presenting research on relevant entities and issues;
• Obtaining, transforming, analyzing and explaining large datasets related to investigations;
• Supporting the maintenance of infrastructure used by the data science team;
• Providing litigation support, including drafting affidavits and letters; and
• Performing other duties as required.
Additional Comments The salary range for this position is $75,000 - $90,000 + $3,026 in location. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you will be required to provide weekly negative COVID-19 PCR test results. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingHOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please visit our website at http://www.ag.ny.gov/job-postings. Reference No. EXEC/RD_ITA _NYC_6216
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on June 10, 2022.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter
? You may address to Legal Recruitment.
? Indicate why you are interested in a position with the OAG and what makes you a strong candidate.
• Writing Sample
• List of three (3) references
? Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
? Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
? Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
? Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov