Minimum Qualifications This is a transfer opportunity for current New York State employees only who are eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law - Candidates must have permanent status in a title approved for transfer by Civil Service within two salary grades of the Grade 6 level.
Candidates who have not previously served in a keyboarding title must demonstrate adequate keyboarding skills (i.e. the ability to type 30 words per minute with at least 96% accuracy) by passing the Keyboard Specialist performance test.
Duties Description This is an 18-month Traineeship leading to a SG 9.
There are currently two vacant positions:
• Distribute settlement funds;
• Produce general legal correspondence;
• Perform case file management;
• Provide general office support to line attorneys;
• Proofread documents for correct legal terminology, context, spelling, grammar andpunctuation, and questions issues of law which appear unclear;
• Provide office support for two or more non-administrative line attorneys;
• Answer and screen phone calls;
• Arrange meetings, conferences with other staff members;
• Maintain attorney files;
• Sort mail;
• Retrieve information and files;
• Perform other related clerical duties.
• Acquire thorough knowledge of charities’ statutory registration and annual filing requirements under New York State law.
• Review and evaluate charities’ annual filings for compliance with New York State law. Analyze an average of 50 filings a day, paying close attention to accuracy, detail and consistency.
• Review charities’ statutorily required audits for completeness and accuracy.
• Create and issue professional, accurate and complete legal notices detailing missing material or inconsistent disclosures to delinquent charities.
• Analyze charities’ filings for red flags indicating major compliance or other issues and elevate findings when appropriate to unit supervisor or section chief.
• Review new filings against charities’ filing history to determine charities’ current statutory filing requirements.
• Create and maintain accurate log of each day’s evaluations and their results.
• Maintain accurate records in the IBM FileNet and future content management and registry systems.
• Learn and become adept at bureau’s new online filing process when it launches later this year and maintain a careful and accurate standard of review in the new system.
• Respond to emailed questions from charities regarding their incomplete filings and statutory obligations under the New York State Executive Law 7-A and the Estates, Powers & Trusts Law (8-1.4). Flag/elevate questions that require further response.
• Close charities’ files that have been determined to be dissolved and/or final.
• Perform other duties as assigned including but not limited to FOIL response, reporting, and conducting sector research.
Additional Comments Upon successful completion of 12 months as Law Dept Document Specialist Trainee 1, you will automatically advance to Law Dept Document Specialist Trainee 2. (SG 8)
Upon successful completion of 6 months as Law Dept Document Specialist Trainee 2, you will automatically advance to Law Dept Document Specialist. (SG 9)
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you will be required to provide negative COVID-19 test results once weekly. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingOnly New York State employees eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law, or applicants on the Beginning Office Assistant list need apply. Email is the preferred method of submission. Please include Vacancy ID #104260 in the subject line. Please be sure to indicate how you are eligible to transfer.