"Other" Explanation Weekends in the spring and fall. Thursday through Sunday in July and August. <br /><br />Hours are 9:30 AM to 5 PM Thursday, Friday and Saturday; 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM Sunday. <br /><br />An additional position is available weekends only 9:30 AM to 5 PM Saturday and Noon to 5 PM Sunday. <br /><br />Additional hours may become available. Positions start in early April and end in late October.
Duties Description Fort Montgomery State Historic Site is a Revolutionary War fort built by the Patriots and captured by British and Loyalist forces after a desperate battle in October 1777. As a historic site interpreter at Fort Montgomery, you will teach others about life in America 245 years ago through talks and hands-on demonstrations of military drill and camp life activities. Interpreters bring history to life for thousands of visitors from all over.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interpretation of the historic site through tours and living history demonstrations.
- Research using on-site and online resources leading to increased knowledge of residents of the fort, events of historical significance, military, economic and social activities within the fort and trades practiced by artisans in the army.
- Assisting with front desk duties and gift shop sales.
- Routine cleaning and light maintenance of the museum galleries, reproduction clothing and equipment. Assistance with grounds maintenance including brush removal and trail repair.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
-Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and self-motivation skills required.
-Background in history, education or performing arts helpful but not required.
-Candidates must possess and maintain a professional, 18th century-appropriate appearance and demeanor and must be willing to read training materials and conduct independent research on a variety of topics.
-Extensive hands-on training, reading materials and reproduction period clothing and equipment will be provided by the historic site for each interpreter.
-Must be at least 16 years old and be available to work weekends.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
690 Route 9W
Notes on ApplyingComplete a NY State OPRHP Employment Application (available at the site and in all park offices) or online at:https://parks.ny.gov/documents/employment/FillableUpdatedParksEmployeeApplicationS1000Part1Palisades.pdf
Submit application along with work references, to Grant Miller, Historic Site Manager, Fort Montgomery State Historic Site, PO Box 213, Fort Montgomery, NY 10922, or email to Grant.Miller@Parks.NY.Gov.