9 Old Post Road
Duties Description Under the direction of the Historic Site Manager (HSM), the selected candidate will perform a variety of tasks in the operational support of the site’s visitor services, reception, retail and administrative functions. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Staff reception desk and implement all its functions including operation of two POS systems (admission and retail), answering phones and directing calls, answering patron inquiries about site and programs and local amenities, welcoming visitors, performing language access and accessibility tasks as needed and acting as the site’s front-line ambassador to all guests
• Maintain all safety and security protocols during public hours – this position is the hub of communication between tour floor staff/volunteers, office staff and emergency responders in an emergency. It also contributes a critical role in maintaining site and collections security.
• Coordinate daily tour assignments for tour guides and ensure they arrive to launch each tour promptly.
• Assist Historic Site Manager with providing basic information on event/wedding rentals to prospective and current clients
• Liaison as needed with Friends group to maintain optimal functioning of retail sales operation.
• Assist with periodic direct mailings to regional libraries and other mailing lists to promote programs; as needed, deliver and/or post fliers in public locations.
• Take, record and report program reservations for programs as needed
• Update and maintain site’s desk reference manual with instructions on all desk functions and agency procedures.
• Attend and actively participate in staff operations meetings; contribute information on visitor services operations and offer suggestions as needed for improving these procedures
• Maintain accuracy of site’s internal calendar to facilitate staff awareness of all activities and to avoid conflicts within the museum building and on the grounds.
• Record and report site attendance: online reporting to agency and site internal reporting
• Assist staff with set-up and clean-up for programs and events; assist staff with enlisting volunteers.
• Responsible for maintaining a basic knowledge of the site’s history and mission so as to be able to answer questions and represent the site appropriately.
• Assist with maintenance duties as needed (also decorating and de-decorating for holidays)
• Assist with administrative tasks as needed
• Maintain current training in First Aid, AED, CPR, and other health and safety response skills and procedures; maintain familiarity with site emergency plan and evacuation protocols
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
• Demonstrated and strong skills in customer service, effective communication, accurate multi-tasking in hectic situations, organization and time management.
• As a term and condition of appointment, applicants must possess a valid US Driver’s License, or obtain it within six months of appointment.
• Candidates must be able to communicate effectively, with other staff, park patrons, and outside businesses and agencies.
• Candidates must have the ability to communicate in writing and to read and comprehend written material; and must have the ability to supervise others.
• Candidates must have the ability to perform light physical labor tasks.
• The preferred candidate will have a basic understanding of point-of-sale (POS) systems
• Preferred candidate will have competency in Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, Publisher) and Google apps such as Forms, Gmail, Docs, etc).
• Candidates must maintain a level of confidentiality based on the general processes of the office, and abide by the laws, rules, regulations and agency procedures.
• The normal workweek is Thursday through Sunday in the months of April through December, and Saturday and Sunday in the months of January through March, and the candidate must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary for operational needs, or emergencies.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
9 Old Post Road
Notes on ApplyingIt is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs.
If you are interested in being considered for this vacancy, please mail your application and resume to Jean Rock, PO Box 308, Staatsburg, NY 12580; or email resume and application to Taconic.firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, the Taconic Region’s administrative office, from the intranet, or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at https://parks.ny.gov/documents/employment/FillableUpdatedParksEmployeeApplicationS1000Part1Taconic.pdf (save application with your name to your computer).
If you have any questions concerning the position, please contact Jean Rock 845-889-3871. All qualified persons are invited and encouraged to apply.