1200 East and West Road
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment from the current Civil Service eligible lists;
Transfer Qualifications for Psychologist 1: Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychologist 1 and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
Transfer Opportunity for Psychologist 2: Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychologist 2 and be eligible for lateral transfer; OR be in a title deemed appropriate for transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law;
Provisional Appointment Qualifications for Psychologist 1 and 2: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following promotion or open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
Promotion Minimum Qualifications:
Psychologist 2 – Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychologist 1 or as a Psychologist 1 (Spanish Language);
Psychologist 1 – Candidates must have one year of permanent service as a Psychology Assistant 3.
Open Competitive Minimum Qualifications for Psychologist 1 and
Candidates must have a master of psychology degree from a regionally accredited college or university psychology degree program which prepares graduates for clinical positions in the field of psychology in a clinical, forensic, community mental health, or school setting. Qualifying degree programs must have included coursework in psychological and behavioral assessment, and treatment modalities for psychological and behavioral disorders;
For Psychologist 1 - you must also have two years of supervised post master's degree experience in a clinical, forensic, community mental health, or school setting, where your primary duties were providing psychological services as described below.
For Psychologist 2 - you must also have three years of supervised post master's degree experience in a clinical, forensic, community mental health, or school setting, where your primary duties were providing psychological services as described below.
Substitution for Post-Master’s degree experience:
• Doctoral degree in a clinical field of psychology may be substituted for both the education and experience requirements above.
• Clinical psychology practicum, externship, or fieldwork assignment, that was completed as part of a qualifying master of psychology degree program, may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
• Certificate of advanced study in a clinical field of psychology or school psychology may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Note: Examples of qualifying degree programs/majors include but are not limited to the following: clinical psychology, clinical forensic psychology, community psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, and child psychology.
Note: Examples of non-qualifying degree programs/majors include but are not limited to the following: education, counseling, clinical counseling, clinical hypnosis, community counseling, educational counseling, forensic counseling, guidance counseling, human relations, marriage and family counseling, professional counseling, rehabilitative counseling, school counseling, student and personnel services, mental health counseling, psychological counseling, pastoral psychology, transpersonal psychology, neuroscience, experimental psychology, industrial psychology, and organizational psychology.
Note: Examples of qualifying experience is considered to be direct experience with individuals, families, or groups in a hospital, psychiatric hospital, psychiatric clinic, community mental health clinic, correctional facility, intermediate care facility, institutional or school setting, or community based residential and/or day program, under the supervision of a doctoral level psychologist, licensed psychologist, licensed physician, licensed psychiatrist, psychiatric nurse practitioner, or licensed clinical social worker (or in the case of school psychologists with permanent certification from the New York State Education Department, working under the supervision of a school principal or similar administrator). In order for experience to be considered qualifying, primary duties must have included activities such as administering assessments and tests for diagnostic psychological evaluations or completing functional behavior assessments; developing behavior support plans or writing psychological treatment plans; and/or providing psychological counseling and treatment in one or more of the following areas: mental and/or emotional disorders, cognitive disorders, behavioral disorders, intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, alcoholism, addictions, substance abuse disorders, sex offender assessment and treatment, or forensic mental health.
Note: Examples of non-qualifying experience include but are not limited to, experience in experimental psychology, research psychology, industrial psychology, organizational psychology, health psychology, utilization review, guidance counseling, pastoral counseling, or as a habilitation specialist or instructor of psychology.
A practicum, externship, or clinical fieldwork assignment is defined as a direct clinical experience providing psychological services in a hospital, psychiatric hospital, psychiatric clinic, community mental health clinic, correctional facility, intermediate care facility, institutional or school setting, or community based residential and/or day program; and must have been a component of a qualifying master of psychology degree program listed on the official transcript.
Note: If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Duties will be consistent with those performed by Psychologist 1 or 2 in an IRA setting (to be conducted under the supervision of a Licensed Psychologist) and will require the attention of such a senior level clinician, given the degree of difficulty of the caseload involved.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties include but are not limited to the following: functional assessments of behavior, risk and site assessments, lethality assessments, etc. Psychologist will be expected to summarize assessment results and, where appropriate, develop behavior support plans and train subordinate staff in their implementation. Behavioral tracking will also be expected for the purpose of treatment planning and advocacy at psychiatric visits. They may also provide counseling to individuals on an as-needed basis. Psychologists are also expected to present rights restrictions at behavior review committee with supporting documentation. It is expected that a flexible schedule be maintained, consistent with the individuals’ needs. Overall, the services described above are essential to the well-being of the Services are key to health and well-being of individuals. Assessment and treatment provided under article 16 would be billable. Additional duty of becoming a PROMOTE instructor may be required.
Additional Comments Please note:
• If you are employed by state government, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice.
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office (518) 473-4785 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
• As of 10/12/2021, all OPWDD employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1200 East and West Road