Minimum Qualifications Current New York State Employees
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, competitive service or 55-b/c service as an Office Assistant 1, Grade 6; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, competitive service, or 55-b/c service in a qualifying title and eligible for transfer* under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
*Candidates are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility.
All candidates who are currently 55-b/c eligible are encouraged to apply for this position. If interested in this position and applying using your 55-b/c status, please provide a copy of your current 55-b/c eligibility letter.
Civil Service Eligibility List:
Candidates on the Beginning Office Assistant list have been canvassed and do not need to apply to this posting.
Duties Description The Office Assistant 1, Grade 6, will be assigned to the Public Information Office and will perform duties that include, but are not limited to:
• Answering the Public Information Office phone and directing callers (reporters, consumers, etc.) to the appropriate office.
• Responding to the Web Questions inbox and ensuring that all questions are responded to appropriately.
• Managing the executive correspondence process, which requires that the Office Assistant 1 ensures that all Logged letters and VIP correspondence are logged, assigned, and responded to in a timely manner.
• Preparing daily press clippings.
• Issuing press releases.
• Assisting with social media tasks (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
• Preparing travel vouchers.
• Assisting with special projects as needed.
Additional Comments Remarks:
The ideal candidate will have:
• Ability to work comfortably in a busy office environment, with the ability to multitask and deal with shifting priorities.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Previous experience with Website editing.
About the Department:
The primary mission of the New York State Department of Public Service (DPS) is to ensure affordable, safe, secure, and reliable access to electric, gas, steam, telecommunications, and water services for New York State’s residential and business consumers, while protecting the natural environment. The Department also seeks to stimulate effective competitive markets for clean, renewable, and distributed energy resources that benefit New York consumers, as well as product and service innovations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Department of Public Service is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator which can be found under the Accessibility Link on the Department’s webpage at www.dps.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Human Resources Management at (518)473-9990. Please reference “Office Assistant 1, posting 00581” when applying.