W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Minimum Qualifications This position is open to candidates who are reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming), G-23, Civil Service eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive service as an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming), G-23. As well as those deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second, consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grades. In order to qualify for a Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a qualifying administrative title such as Information Technology Specialist 3, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications), G-23, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database), G-23, or Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming), G-23.
• Ability to write and understand complex SQL statements
• Ability to work collaboratively across project teams
• Object Oriented Programming experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Ability to develop and understand complex oral and written instructions and to read and understand technical literature
• Ability to convey information both orally and in writing in a clear and effective manner
• Strong/Advanced SQL experience
• Experience developing object oriented programs referencing an Oracle Database
• Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills
• Ability to plan and organize development work, and motivate self and team members
• Adherence to standard systems analysis, design, development lifecycle, and project management practices
• PeopleSoft technical programming experience in the following: PeopleTools, PeopleCode, Application Designer, Integration Broker, Application Engine, Component Interfaces, Workflow, Web Services & SOA technologies, Data Mover
• PeopleSoft functional and technical expertise within FSCM modules: GL, KK, AR, AP, ESA, ALM, eSettlements, Purchasing, etc.
• Familiarity with Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
• Knowledge of basic navigation through the UNIX environment and the ability to write Korn Shell & batch scripts
Duties Description SFS is a New York State implementation of PeopleSoft Financials running on Oracle Database, and includes an extensive array of PeopleSoft modules, along with a number of associated software applications. The SFS system is used by multiple state agencies and vendors to manage and execute their financial business processes. The incumbent for this position will work in the Application Development Bureau and will perform technical activities related to software application development.
General Job Responsibilities:
• Work in collaboration with business analysts in designing, constructing and implementing functionality to meet business requirements
• Prepare written technical documentation such as: technical specifications, test plans, procedures and white papers for both staff and end-users
• Perform coding, testing and debugging activities, develop and execute Unit Test Plans, and assist team members with system testing
• Build customized application objects and related PeopleCode as required by functional and technical design specifications
• Analyze, and resolve identified defects as assigned
• Participate in peer code reviews to ensure that quality work products are designed, delivered and implemented
• Facilitate change control procedures through preparation and migration of code and configuration changes from development, through testing to production environments
• Identify and implement performance improvements through tuning of SQL statements
• Assist in analyzing the impact of proposed changes on existing programs or resources
• Assist in the review of PeopleSoft configurations to ensure user requirements are met.
• Participate in project management and scheduling activities as required and ensure that project status is current and accurate
• Mentor staff members, develop performance goals, and identify training and growth opportunities
• Write comprehensive performance evaluations and appraisals for staff
Additional Comments This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with SFS, you may be required to be fingerprinted.
SFS is the organization that manages the enterprise financial system that supports the business of New York State government. SFS is an independent entity jointly governed by the Office of the State Comptroller and the Division of the Budget.
As one of the largest public sector enterprise financial systems in the United States, SFS processes an average of 22,000 voucher transactions daily and about $150 billion in payments per year using Oracle PeopleSoft technology. SFS staff provide extensive operational support to over 70 NYS agencies and authorities. SFS continues to work on major initiatives to expand the use of system functionality and works collaboratively with agencies and the NYS Office of Information Technology Services clusters that support IT systems across the State.
Currently, we are looking for motivated, highly qualified professionals who can lead and support ongoing transformational statewide information technology projects. Focused on best practices, continuous improvement, and enabling efficient government operations, SFS team members include programmers, project managers, PeopleSoft experts, database and security administrators, business analysts, and customer service and change management professionals. Located in Albany, NY, SFS is a fast-paced, dynamic place to work, where individuals have the opportunity to support the transformation of NYS government’s financial business processes. SFS is committed to diversity and workforce development, providing its employees with professional growth through training opportunities and knowledge sharing.
To learn more about SFS, visit our website at www.sfs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume by e-mail. Please include your current Civil Service title and grade and be sure to indicate that you are applying for the position of Information Technology Specialist 3 (Programming), Ref. #22-12.