One Commerce Plaza
Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) Research and Innovation Division is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Superintendent of Data Governance and Management within the Research and Innovation Division. This role will support the Division in researching innovative financial-services companies and products, and existing policy. The Deputy Superintendent of Data Governance and Management will help inform DFS supervision, policy, and future research to bridge the gap between innovative approaches and financial regulations that may have been created before new business models and technologies were envisioned.
This role will lead data governance and management for the Research and Innovation Division. Duties will be focused on assessing and maintaining internal and external data resources to support research and innovation policy objectives. It will support the entire agency, with a focus on virtual currency and innovation policy.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Inventories information sources and information collection methods across agency;
• Designs and leads implementation of comprehensive data governance framework;
• Participates in, and contributes to, relevant national and international networks on data governance and management best practices;
• Develops data management policies and procedures including, but not limited to:
• Data quality management;
• Reference and master data management;
• Data warehousing; and
• Meta data management.
• Designs and implements data capture and reporting systems, including data visualization in partnership with staff;
• Works closely with the Chief Technolody Officer on developing and modifying data infrastructure to accelerate the processes of data analysis and reporting;
• Work closely with Chief Information Security Officer and Cybersecurity Division on maintaining the security and confidentiality of data;
• Leads internal innovation of new approaches, tools, processes, online solutions, and communications;
• Owns end-to-end data management for data gathered from a variety of sources, including: transfer, cleaning, quality checks, and harmonization ;
• Identifies and measures success of project efforts through goal setting and monitoring of key metrics; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data analytics, mathematics, economics or equivalent technical preferred.
• At least ten years of relevant professional experience
• Experience leading data teams is preferred
• Demonstrated experience designing and implementing data governance and management programs.
• Fluency in economic modeling, economic impact analysis, and/or financial modeling.
• Comfortable working with large volumes of data.
• Experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and/or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, STATA).
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey technical concepts to a lay audience.
• Ability to solve problems creatively, strong attention to detail, and multi-task across projects. and
• Highly motivated and effective working autonomously and as part of cross-functional teams.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Appointment to this position is pending Governor Appointment’s Office and Division of Budget approval.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than July 15, 2022 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box # [Box DFSP3-DSDGM-10127] in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job. If the accommodation would constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency, the agency is not required to provide it.