*One State Street
Minimum Qualifications Appointment method:
List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for Senior Economist, #26-101.
Transfer: Must be in a title eligible to transfer via Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at: http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/
Please Note that under Civil Service Law, an employee cannot have two consecutive upward 52.6 transfers without an intervening eligible list appointment, if such transfers would result in an increase of more than two salary grades.
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services (DFS) Research and Innovation Division is seeking candidates for the position of Associate Economist, in the Innovation Policy Unit within the Research and Innovation Division.
This role provides support to the entire agency, with a focus on virtual currency and innovation policy. The role contributes to policy development and supervision and provides an opportunity to enhance and broaden technical expertise within a senior team.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Enhances DFS’s understanding of innovation trends, and their impact, on communities and financial markets
• Aggregates and standardizes data from external and internal sources;
• Performs data cleaning and quality checks;
• Maintains databases used in econometric modeling;
• Works with large and complex data sets to solve problems using different analytical and statistical approaches;
• Works across the Banking, Insurance, Capital Markets, and Research and Innovation Divisions to accomplish required economic reporting and ad hoc analysis;
• Designs and prepares periodic reports in virtual currency and innovation policy;
• Analyzes and presents fiscal and economic impacts of proposed policy;
• Makes recommendations concerning appropriate courses of action based on the interpretation of the findings of all economic information; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience in economic modeling, economic impact analysis, and/or financial modeling;
• Comfortable working with large volumes of data;
• Experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and/or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, STATA);
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey technical concepts to a lay audience;
• Ability to solve problems creatively, multi-task across projects, and strong attention to detail;
• Highly motivated and effective working autonomously and as part of cross-functional teams;
• Financial services experience is preferred.
Additional Comments Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than May 31, 2022, to the email address listed below. Please include (Box SE-02751) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301
Albany, New York 12257
Fax: (518) 402-5071
Please note that not all applicants may be scheduled for an interview.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.