Minimum Qualifications Open Competitive: bachelor's degree in the natural sciences including or supplemented by 24 college semester credits in chemistry, plus four years of experience performing chemical, physical, microbiological, and/or microscopical analysis of environmental samples; one year of which must have included experience administering a quality assurance/quality control program for a laboratory to a national standard.
Substitution: one year of experience as a technical director, manager, or supervisor for a laboratory accredited to a national standard may be substituted for the quality assurance/quality control program experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of Federal and State environmental laboratory standards, quality assurance, audits, and applicable laws and regulations. Ability to apply knowledge from laboratory settings to regulatory enforcement and compliance activities. Two additional years relevant experience. Ability to work independently as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Duties Description Environmental Laboratory Consultants (ELC) inspect laboratories performing environmental analysis, evaluate the performance of environmental laboratories, document findings, perform follow-up activities, and investigate alleged violations and reported incidents. Provide consulting services to assist laboratories in improving quality systems, methodologies and procedures, and periodically assist with program development and proficiency test history review.
Additional Comments This position will be assigned to the Albany regional area.
"Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.. "
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to email@example.com, with Reference NMH/ELC/14029 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/ELC/14029, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position.