Minimum Qualifications Non-Competitive: bachelor’s degree in the natural sciences and three years of post-degree professional research experience in an appropriate field.
Substitutions: master’s degree in an appropriate field may substitute for one year of experience, and Ph.D. in an appropriate field may substitute for an additional year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of Federal and State environmental laboratory methods, standards, quality assurance, audits, and applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to US EPA methods; ISO 17025; the NELAC Institute 2003, 2009, and 2016 standard; Clean Water Act; Safe Drinking Water Act; Subpart 55-2; ELAP certification manual; and 40 CFR136 and 141. Ability to apply knowledge from laboratory settings to regulatory enforcement and compliance activities. Two additional years relevant experience. Ability to work independently as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills
Duties Description The Research Scientist 3 will act as the Quality Assurance Officer to develop and maintain quality assurance procedures within the program, including but not limited to, performing annual internal audits, maintaining and tracking corrective actions and complaints, assisting in the training of auditors, and updating the program’s checklists, certification manual, website, and database. Responsibilities also include assisting in the review of audit reports and performing triennial evaluations of ELCs during onsite laboratory inspections.
Additional Comments "Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.. "
For more information on the NYS Department of Health’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan, please visit: https://health.ny.gov/commissioner/index.htm
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit your resume and cover letter, preferably in PDF format, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Reference NMH/RS3/14000 included in the subject line or by mail to Human Resources Management Group, NMH/RS3/14000, Rm 2217, Corning Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0012, or by fax to (518) 473-3395. Failure to include the required information may result in your resume not being considered for this position.