Office of Teaching Initiatives
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
55b/c Appointment: This position is eligible for 55b/c designation and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Candidates must possess the minimum qualifications and a current 55b/c eligibility letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a temporary provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree AND six years of experience with the educator certification process at an institution of higher education or local education agency. Three of those years must be at a supervisory level or one year at the managerial level. Master’s degree or juris doctorate substitutes for one year of general experience; doctorate degree substitutes for two years of general experience. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Director, Teacher Certification when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Director, Teacher Certification position in the Office of Teaching Initiatives. This Office oversees the certification process for teachers in New York State. Under the general guidance of the Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Higher Education, the Director, Teacher Certification will be responsible for the comprehensive review and implementation of policies and procedures in relation to the processing of educator certification applications. The incumbent of this position will also maintain oversight of the NYSED’s proprietary online certification system, which is the mechanism to review and approve applications for certification and Section 211 waivers for school district personnel. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage the daily operations of the Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI), including internal processes related to personnel-, budget-, and customer service-related activities;
• Establish priorities for and provide direction to OTI staff on the review of certification applications and other related credentials;
• Supervise professional OTI staff with responsibility for all duties involved with application processing for teacher certification;
• Provide direction to all OTI staff on the appropriate customer service approach to e-mail, regular correspondence, and phone calls;
• Provide guidance to OTI staff in managing professional relationships with the Regional Certification Officers in each of the BOCES, the Human Resources Office of the New York City Department of Education, and the Certification Officers at each of the colleges with approved educator preparation programs;
• Assist senior leadership in the review of legislative changes and assess impact on the certification process;
• Provide senior leadership with recommendations of necessary educator certification and regulatory and policy changes; and
• Participate in external stakeholder meetings on behalf of senior leadership (i.e., District Superintendents, New York State United Teachers (NYSUT), New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA).
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment or temporary provisional appointment. For 55b/c appointment, candidates must possess the minimum qualifications, a current 55b/c eligibility letter and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Director, Teacher Certification when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $128,142 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-922/14607) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (OHE-922/14607) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.