Minimum Qualifications Current New York State Employees
Current New York State employee with one year or more permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55-b/c service as an Office Assistant 1, Grade 6; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, competitive service or 55-b/c service in a qualifying title and eligible for transfer* under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
*Candidates are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility.
All candidates who are currently 55-b/c eligible are encouraged to apply for this position. If interested in this position and applying using your 55-b/c status, please provide a copy of your current 55-b/c eligibility letter.
Civil Service Eligible List:
Candidates on the Beginning Office Assistant list have been canvassed and do not need to apply to this posting.
Duties Description The Office Assistant 1, Grade 6, will be assigned to the Environmental Certification and Compliance Section of the Office of Electric, Gas, & Water and will perform entry-level clerical and office support duties that include, but are not limited to:
• Answering questions from and providing information to various parties regarding agency activities, transactions, and procedures.
• Operating various communication systems such as telephones, computers, and internal systems. Maintaining records of such communications.
• Performing database management.
• Receiving, screening, reviewing, and verifying documents, forms, applications, and other documents for completeness, content, and accuracy.
• Establishing new files by coding and numbering forms, creating folders, and compiling relevant material.
• Maintaining files, correspondences, documents, records, and materials pursuant to guidelines.
• Scheduling appointments and meetings using various office tools.
• Receiving, opening, appropriately recording, sorting, and distributing mail, e-mail, and other forms of correspondence and/or communication.
• Operating and performing basic maintenance on office machines and equipment.
• Performing various clerical or office assistant tasks such as scanning documents, typing, proofreading, reviewing, and correcting errors of written material.
Additional Comments The primary mission of the New York State Department of Public Service (DPS) is to ensure affordable, safe, secure, and reliable access to electric, gas, steam, telecommunications, and water services for New York State’s residential and business consumers, while protecting the natural environment. The Department also seeks to stimulate effective competitive markets for clean, renewable, and distributed energy resources that benefit New York consumers, as well as product and service innovations.
The Department of Public Service is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator which can be found under the Accessibility Link on the Department’s webpage at www.dps.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Human Resources Management at (518)473-9990. Please reference “Office Assistant 1, posting 00273” when applying.