45165 NYS Rt 12
Duties Description DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Thousand Islands Region has 28 State Parks and 6 Boat Launches across Eastern Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River, and Lake Champlain. Trail Stewards work closely together with guidance from Senior Trail Steward, and under direction from Regional Trail Coordinator. Often work alongside Regional Invasive Species Technicians and Student Conservation Association interns to mitigate the degradation of trails and public lands by:
• Performing trail maintenance i.e. improving drainage, walking tread, removing hazard trees, general upkeep.
• Constructing new trails, small bridges, boardwalks, staircases, and signage.
• Operating and maintaining shared state vehicles, hand tools, power tools, some small equipment.
• Other duties as assigned i.e. educating visitors, removing invasive plants, organizing volunteers, gardening.
Additional Comments OPERATIONAL NEEDS:
• Must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must be able to perform medium to heavy physical labor in all weather conditions with a positive attitude.
• Must have good peer-to-peer communication skills and willingness to engage with the public.
• Preferred to have general knowledge of the natural environment or a willingness to learn.
o Invasive New York flora and fauna, orienteering skills,
Leave No Trace, or similar.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingIf you feel you meet the Agency’s qualifications and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, please send a completed Part 1 Pre-Employment Application, resume, and interest statement to Maria Cipullo, Regional Trail Coordinator (Maria.Cipullo@parks.ny.gov). Employment Applications are available at your local park office or online at:
It is the responsibility of each applicant to accurately describe their experience and demonstrate that they meet the minimum qualifications and agency operating needs for the position.