Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree or higher and four years specialized experience, being defined as:
o Knowledge of labor-related issues such as labor standards, workplace safety and health, workforce development;
o Knowledge of Department of Labor stakeholders, including organized labor, worker advocate groups, and business advocacy groups; and
o Three years of the experience at a supervisory level, or one year of the experience at a managerial level
• A JD or Master’s degree may substitute for one year of specialized experience
• A PhD may substitute for two years of specialized experience
• Familiarity with New York State government policies and programs and/or experience working within State government or the New York State Legislature.
• Ability to initiate and maintain relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders
Duties Description STANDARD DUTIES:
• Policy idea generation: Work with stakeholders across the state and within DOL to generate policy ideas that benefit the NYS workers. Proactively generate ideas.
• Policy writing: incorporate feedback from stakeholders to draft policy proposals.
• Legislative analysis: Evaluate the implications of executive, legislative, and stakeholder policy proposals and prepare synthesized briefing documents that address impacts.
• Policy negotiation: Direct and engage in negotiations with legislative staff to finalize state policy proposals.
• Policy implementation: Draft operational plans, including processes and timelines, to inform the full implementation of agency initiatives. Lead coordination of intra-agency implementation plans.
• Policy briefings for DOL Leadership: Prepare summary memos to inform DOL leadership of policy initiatives resulting from legislative negotiations, Federal funding or other sources, and provide informational briefings to and consult with DOL executives as needed.
• Interdepartmental and interagency coordination: serve as liaison to other NYS agencies to inform policy proposals and coordinate implementation.
• Stakeholder coordination: Establish and maintain partnership with various stakeholders including external stakeholders (unions, business, worker advocates, other government state and federal agencies) and state and local workforce system leaders to learn their viewpoints about trends and issues that may affect program-related operations.
• Coordinate development of SOTS proposals for DOL and carry out follow up necessary to ensure implementation of SOTS proposals within agency.
• Work with DOL leadership and staff to assist in development of DOL strategic plan.
• Coordinate among all NYSDOL divisions for consistent message on policy, strategy, and research goals.
• Direct special projects as requested by the Deputy Commissioner for Policy, Strategy, and Research or the Executive Deputy Commissioner.
Additional Comments Pending Funding Approval
IMPORTANT: All Department of Labor employees are required to be tested weekly for COVID-19 unless they are fully vaccinated. Employees who are vaccinated must provide proof of vaccine status through a secure online portal.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
State Office Campus, Building 12, Room 561
Notes on ApplyingCandidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Department of Labor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Department of Labor is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities and workplace diversity.
To be considered for this position, interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title, location and vacancy ID# 104793 you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail. Failure to do so may result in the delay of processing your application.