Minimum Qualifications Two years of full time experience in performing painting work under the supervision of a journey level painter, or completion of an appropriate two-year technical school course in the painting trade.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• A copy of a trade’s union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
Duties Description • As directed, prepare and apply protective and decorative coats of paint to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings, furniture, equipment, guiderails, fences and like surfaces.
• Arrange, assemble and erect scaffolding and ladders at work site.
• Place drop cloths over shrubbery, furniture or floors to avoid paint splattering.
• Move furniture and moveable equipment from area to be painted.
• Prepare surfaces for painting by such methods as washing surfaces with soap and water, the use of paint remover, blowtorch, wire brush, or chipping hammer to remove all paint, and by sanding surfaces to smooth them.
• Remove electrical wall plates prior to painting and replace when the job is completed.
• Fill cracks, crevices and holes with putty, plaster or other materials.
• Mix paints, following standard proportions, to achieve desired color.
• Paint surfaces usually not requiring fine finish, using brush, spray gun, paint roller or mittens following oral or written instructions.
• May install or replace window glass.
• Clean brushes and equipment with soap and water, turpentine or other solvents.
• Clean work area of spotted paint and dirt.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
• Working knowledge of painting techniques and practices.
• Working knowledge of the characteristics of common types of paints and finishes from the standpoint of their durability, suitability for different purposes, and ease of handling and application.
• Ability to erect and work from scaffolds, lifts, swing stages and ladders.
• Ability to use the tools, equipment, and materials of the painting trade.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time, to climb, and to bend.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.