AgencyGeneral Services, Office of
TitleMaintenance Assistant Plumber & Steamfitter
Occupational CategorySkilled Craft, Apprenticeship, Maintenance
Bargaining UnitOSU - Operational Services Unit (CSEA)
Salary RangeFrom $37507 to $46103 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications Two years of full-time experience in plumbing and/or steamfitting work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson; OR completion of an appropriate two year technical school course in the plumbing and/or steamfitting trade.
• Candidates qualifying through the completion of appropriate course work should include a copy of their transcript or listing of course work completed.
• A copy of a trade’s union card is acceptable documentary proof of qualification.
• Candidates who do not submit appropriate documentary proof that they meet the minimum qualifications will not be considered for appointment.
Per Agreement between the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc. and the State of New York, Article 45 (c) the requirement to prove qualification shall rest with the employee.
Duties Description • Repair and maintains piping systems by replacing defective pipe by cutting, bending, threading and assembling pipe, and by soldering and caulking leaks and broken pipes.
• Open clogged drains with plumber’s snake or vacuum plunger.
• Replace worn washers or other parts in leaky valves or taps.
• Cuts passage holes in walls and floors through which pipe is to pass.
• Cover steam lines with thermal insulation.
• Install pipes, fittings and fixtures with layout and materials provided by the supervisor.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
• Possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted New York State motor vehicle operator’s license.
• Asbestos certification required within 90 days of appointment as well as compliance with all related PESH/OSHA regulations.
• Able to work at heights using ladders, scaffolding, platform lifts, boom lifts etc.
• Able to operate a variety of forklifts (OSHA certification provided after appointment).
• Able to lift minimum of 80 lbs.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address HRresumes@ogs.ny.gov
Street NYS Office of General Services, HRM
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.