Minimum Qualifications Appointment to Contract Management Specialist 1, SG-18:
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Contract Management Specialist 1 eligible list.
Appointment to Contract Management Specialist Trainee 1 or 2, NS*:
Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer via Section 52.6 or 70.1 of the Civil Service Law or Candidates may be eligible for nomination for transfer under Section 70.4 of the Civil Service Law if they are a current NYS employee with one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title salary grade 11 or higher AND have standing on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) or Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible lists AND possess a bachelor’s degree.
List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) or Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) eligible list.
55 b/c Appointment: Candidates certified as 55 b/c eligible by the Department of Civil Service who possess a bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply. Please provide a copy of your eligibility letter with your response.
Duties Description The NYS Canal Corporation (Canals) is seeking candidates to join their procurement team in the position of Contract Management Specialist (CMS) 1. The New York State Canal System includes the Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga-Seneca canals, linking the Hudson River with the Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes and Lake Champlain. Working with local, state, and federal partners, Canals seeks to increase public access and use of the Canal System, add new and improved trail linkages and enhance tourism and economic revitalization opportunities along the 524 miles comprising the Canal system.
As a subsidiary of the New York Power Authority (NYPA), Canal procurement and contracting is done in partnership with the NYPA office of Strategic Supply Management (SSM). Under the general direction of the Canal Director of Business Services, the Contract Management Specialist 1 negotiates, develops, prepares, reviews, implements, processes, tracks and provides fiscal and administrative oversight of contracts supporting Canals Statewide Construction, Design, Maintenance & Operations. Specific duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Processing procurement documents while ensuring adherence to all applicable laws, rules and regulations;
• Reviewing contract releases and change orders to determine the impact on the contract and to ensure continued compliance with contract provisions;
• Developing and maintaining an effective working relationship with program and administrative organizations within Canals and New York Power Authority’s (NYPA) Shared Services providers;
• Providing guidance, technical assistance and training to agency staff to facilitate the contract following the proper procurement protocols;
• Assisting in grant preparation;
• Disposing of personal property in accordance with policy requirements;
• Supporting inventory purchasing for division offices utilizing the system tools;
• Resolving problems identified by agency staff or vendors with the Contract, RFPs, Sole/Single Source Procurements, or other related financial documents;
• Attending internal or external meetings and conferences as needed;
• Supporting the transition to an online bidding system
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications should submit a cover letter and resume by 5/31/2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title (Contract Management Specialist 1 (Trainee) - Albany) and Vacancy ID in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ARE PREFERRED.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email email@example.com.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from the candidate before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.