Alfred E. Smith Building
Minimum Qualifications Permanent service in this title and eligible for reassignment, or reachable on the current promotion eligible list for this title. Those who are eligible for shift bid will be considered.
In order to be appointed to an Identification Specialist 1 position in SIB, you must have passed the Ten Print Examiner proficiency within the past year and/or have current Latent Print Examiner proficiency. Proficiency will be verified prior to interview.
Preferred Qualifications: Excellent phone and email communication skills; knowledge of Excel, Adobe, Word, and Outlook; and strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
Duties Description The incumbent will work in the Certified Request Unit (CRU) and perform duties including, but not limited to:
• Requesting criminal histories and fingerprint cards via eJusticeNY Integrated Justice Portal.
• Comparing fingerprint images.
• Updating Excel Charts and preparing reports.
• Responding to correspondence by email, mail, and phone.
• Monitoring the electronic mailbox for request of certified criminal histories, certified fingerprint cards and fingerprint comparisons.
• Mailing certified criminal histories, certified fingerprint cards, and fingerprint comparisons.
• Preparing letters for requests of certified criminal histories, certified fingerprint cards, and fingerprint comparisons.
• Preparing letters for Subpoena requests
• Providing court testimony.
• Using authorized biometric software to read, interpret and update the State and federal criminal history records which are maintained by DCJS.
• Supervising assigned clerical and technical staff and evaluating work performance.
• Identifying and resolving questions or concerns from staff and requesting agencies.
• Implementing operational policies and procedures associated with SIB.
• Training staff on new procedures or changes to policy.
• Monitoring and controlling employee workload and reassigning staff as necessary to maintain workflow.
• Other projects as requested.
Additional Comments The State Identification Bureau (SIB) is a 24/7/365 office. Employees may on occasion be asked to volunteer or be mandated to work another shift or on holidays as needed. Every effort will be made to obtain volunteers prior to mandating, and will be in accordance with the negotiated agreement with PEF.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. DCJS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify Kimberly Carr, Equal Opportunity Specialist at (518) 457-2409.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Alfred E. Smith Building
Notes on ApplyingPlease send a cover letter and resume to the email/address above. Please reference posting # 104934 on your cover letter.
DCJS was named to the Times Union’s list of Top Workplaces from 2017 through 2021 as voted on by our employees, and received special recognition for fostering new ideas, communication, and training.