Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Business Systems Analyst 1 or appropriate Civil Service eligible list or a current NYS employee eligible for transfer under Sections 52.6, 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law. Depending on qualifications, candidate may be required to serve a 2 year traineeship that leads to a journey level grade 18 position.
To be eligible for a 70.1 transfer, a candidate must have one year of permanent competitive service in a 70.1 qualifying title.
To be eligible for a 52.6 transfer, a candidate must have one year of permanent competitive service in a 52.6 qualifying title.
One year of permanent competitive service in a position allocated to a SG-11 or higher, possess a Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable educational practices and have standing on the PATT or Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible lists
Duties Description Perform system analysis/design activities for IT applications-50%
Under the general direction of the Business Systems Analyst 2, the incumbent will assist in the development of integrated, customer-focused IT applications that facilitate the work of LGSA:
• Develop and validate high-level conceptual documents for the system under design, such as context diagrams, activity diagrams, and wireframes
• Document and validate functional requirements and business rules identified through elicitation activities such as use cases, user stories, and process mapping
• Document and validate source and target data needs identified through business intelligence activities such as queries, reports, data models, and data flow diagrams
• Develop and validate technical specifications, including input, processing, and output details relevant to system operations and data reporting functions
• Collaborate with business and IT staff to ensure technical specifications meet functional requirements, business rules, and data needs
• Develop and perform integration, system, and regression tests to evaluate solution performance against technical specifications
• Create user acceptance tests, monitor testing activities, and help resolve any issues to ensure application meets customer expectations and business goals
• Conduct walkthroughs, develop user manuals, and provide additional support as needed to assist with implementation
Major Activity: Perform maintenance activities for IT applications-50%
Under the general direction of the Business Systems Analyst 2, the incumbent will be assigned to a specific IT application and assist in maintenance activities such as resolving production defects, cleansing data, enhancing existing functionality, and redesigning the application due to events such as new legislation and IT environment changes:
• Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the application and related data through document analysis, system analysis, and collaboration with business and IT staff
• Perform ad hoc queries and reports requested by business and IT staff
• Analyze and communicate how proposed system changes impact suppliers, inputs, processes (both business and system), outputs, and customers
• Develop and perform integration, system, regression, and acceptance tests to evaluate the implemented change
• Develop user acceptance tests, monitor testing activities, collaborate with business and IT staff to resolve any reported defects, and obtain testing sign-off on the change
• Update documentation (e.g., technical specifications, user manuals) and provide additional training/support as needed to communicate the change
Additional Comments Desired Competencies
• Demonstrated ability to consult with business and IT staff to ascertain scopes, requirements, and deliverables for IT application development projects
• Experience documenting requirements (e.g., process models, data flow diagrams, user stories, wireframes, data models, use cases)
• Experience translating requirements into technical specifications
• Experience creating and performing integration, system, and acceptance tests
• Experience diagnosing and resolving customer-reported IT application issues
• Familiarity with Lotus Notes, PowerBuilder, and Java applications
• Working knowledge of SQL, Java, VBA, and other programming languages
• Working knowledge of InfoMaker, OBIEE, and other business intelligence tools
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with business and IT staff
• Ability to effectively balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 1, 2022. Please reference Item #03752 -GOER-SAB when responding.
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The GOER ID # should not be included.