50 Wolf Road
Minimum Qualifications To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
Duties Description Under the direction of an Intermodal Transportation Specialist 1 (Motor Carrier Safety), SG-18, the incumbent of this position will serve as a field representative. Duties will include:
• Examine records of motor carriers to ensure compliance with pertinent state and federal laws regulations and policies.
• Conduct safety audits of new entrant interstate operators to determine compliance with federal motor carrier safety regulations.
• Conduct roadside inspections of commercial drivers.
• Prepare reports of investigation findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
• Assist motor carriers in complying with provisions of the Transportation Law, Rules and Regulations, orders of the commissioner, and department policies.
• Investigate shipper, passenger, and carrier complaints revolving around claims of safety violations, overcharge, loss, damage, poor service, and oversee the resolution and enforcement process.
• Advise stakeholders of their rights and responsibilities under the Transportation Law.
• Ensure compliance with the Transportation Law and Regulations by conducting inspections, investigations, vehicle impoundments, and issuance of Notices of Violations (NOVs).
• Testify at Department of Transportation and other agency administrative hearings and in civil and criminal court proceedings.
• Successfully completes mandatory trainings and maintain certifications provided by FMCSA.
• Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
This position requires extensive daily travel within an assigned geographic area. You will be required to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate the capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job. You must possess a driver's license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. Field work and travel expenses are reimbursed on a fixed schedule.
The selected candidate must pass a physical/medical examination prior to appointment.
Cannabis use is not permitted for employees in this title and assignment. Cannabis use will be tested for during the pre-employment screening process and may be the basis for disqualification for employment or may be a basis for removal from employment.
Additional Comments ***Reporting to MO, Office of Modal Safety & Security, Albany, NY to be assigned to Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Nassau, Queens, Staten Island and Suffolk counties.
All State employees in Executive controlled agencies, who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted
to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current
compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a
conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from
you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-
6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road POD 53