401 Turin Street
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have one year of experience in a position performing duties normally performed by a Child Care Aide 1. Candidates must be able to read, write, and speak English, follow written and spoken instructions, be in good health and good physical condition.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to applicants who have experience working with deaf students and/or the ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a temporary Child Care Aide 2 position in the New York State School for the Deaf for the 2022 summer session. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervise the Child Care Aide 1s in the care and habilitation of students in the residential setting;
• Instruct staff as to specific tasks to be performed and provide appropriate written guidelines as necessary;
• Observe staff carrying out assignments to ensure that instructions and guidelines are being followed;
• Meet with subordinates and Head of Department to discuss observations, deficiencies, new techniques, administrative matters, or other circumstances that might affect the effective and efficient functioning of the residential unit;
• Train staff in appropriate response to emergency or crisis situations;
• Assist Child Care Aide 1s in supervising students when necessary;
• Support the on-duty nurse in the Health Services Unit;
• Respond to program and work-related questions, problems and complaints;
• Maintain appropriate records of time, attendance, level of performance, specific deficiencies, training needs, and counseling sessions; and
• Assist in staff scheduling to ensure adequate coverage at all times.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary, non-competitive appointment from July 6, 2022, to August 16, 2022. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Division of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Verification of work experience will be required for all candidates at the time of interview. The work schedule for this position includes hours of Monday through Thursday, 10:15pm to 8:15am.
All NYSED employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to mandatory weekly testing for COVID-19.
Employees of the NYS School for the Deaf who are currently in a Child Care Aide 1 position and are interested in this position MUST apply to the position as outlined in the Application section of this flyer.
*Employees will receive an annual $460 ($575 prorated to 4 days per week) of inconvenience pay.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 31, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-361/00702) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by May 31, 2022 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Your resume must clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. You must include the Box number (ROM-361/00702) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application. Your social security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.