Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates reachable on the Civil Service Eligible list(s) will be canvassed. However, you may also apply if you are eligible for appointment by one of the following qualifications:
70.1 TRANSFER QUALIFICATIONS: One-year of permanent, contingent-permanent, or 55 b/c service in title Employment Counselor Spanish Language Grade 18 or the successful completion of a traineeship as an Employment Counselor Spanish Language, may qualify for transfer pursuant to Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Note: For 70.1 transfers, a comprehensive list of titles approved for transfers is available through Civil Service GOT-IT at https://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/gotit/.
PROVISIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: You must have a Master’s or higher degree* in career development, counseling, education, psychology, or social work** AND:
One year of full-time employment counseling experience AND:
1. Establishment of a one-to-one employment counseling relationship, including gathering customer information and relating it to the labor market; AND
2. The selection and utilization of career assessments or standardized testing instruments; AND
3. The development and implementation of employment plans.
Non-Qualifying Experience: Experience performing recruitment; academic advisement; interviewing customers for unemployment, health insurance, or public assistance benefits, etc.; case management where the major responsibility is coordination of services; social work; and home visits for health and welfare are NOT considered qualifying. This list is not all inclusive.
The appointed candidate would have to take, pass and be reachable on the next holding of the examination to be appointed permanently.
*Your degree must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States or its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency.
**Degrees in other fields will NOT be substituted in lieu of the specific specialized degrees listed above.
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to initiate and maintain relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders.
Duties Description STANDARD DUTIES:
The Employment Counselor duties will include but are not limited to the following:
• provide complete employment counseling services to applicants in need of special assistance in determining and realizing their occupational potentials;
• provide vocational counseling and career development information to individuals looking for employment;
• use interview techniques and testing devices to assess the individual’s vocational needs and capabilities as well as help them understand and resolve their problems to obtaining employment;
• assist in developing an employment plan, maintain a record of interviews and provide follow-up assistance as necessary.
Additional Comments Pending Funding Approval
Position specific job duties may include occasional altered work schedule or job assignments which require availability and willingness to work occasional evenings and/or out-stationed assignments.
IMPORTANT: All Department of Labor employees are required to be tested weekly for COVID-19 unless they are fully vaccinated. Employees who are vaccinated must provide proof of vaccine status through a secure online portal.
All candidates applying using Provisional Qualifications must submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• A cover letter
• A copy of your resume in Word or PDF format which clearly indicates how you meet the experience requirements above for the position.
• Proof of your educational credentials (unofficial transcripts, equivalency documentation, and/or copy of your Master’s degree)
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
State Office Campus, Building 12, Room 561
Notes on ApplyingCandidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Department of Labor is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Department of Labor is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for persons with disabilities and workplace diversity.
To be considered for this position, interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format to email@example.com. Please include the title, location and vacancy ID# 105133 of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail. Failure to do so may result in the delay of processing your application.
In order to qualify you for the position, when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by the NYSDOL Personnel Bureau for your social security number to confirm your employment history.