Minimum Qualifications CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES:
Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 16 and eligible for transfer under Section Choose 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
NOTE: This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities. Employees on the Civil Service eligible list will be considered and should not respond to this posting. If you are on the eligible list and not reachable, you may be eligible for transfer. You are encouraged to access GOT-IT on the Civil Service website (www.cs.ny.gov) to determine transfer eligibility or contact OGS Human Resources for your transfer options.
Provisional Pending Examination OR 55b/c Candidates:
1. Two years of active military duty in the Armed Forces of the United States and an honorable discharge or under conditions in the NYS Restoration of Honor Act.
2. Three years of experience in employment counseling, military career counseling, military recruiting, guidance counseling, employment interviewing, personnel administration, teaching, labor relations; or as a Veterans’ Organization
Service Officer; or in a governmental position responsible for: the explanation of benefit program and entitlement criteria to veterans and/or their families; the analysis of claims
for veteran benefits; the preparation of rating decisions; and/or the direction and conduct of post-decisional hearings and processes appeals for veterans and/or their families.
Substitution: College credits may be substituted for up to two years for the required experience at the rate of 30 semester credit hours equaling one year of experience.
Individuals with current 55b/c status who meet with qualifications as stated above may apply. Please supply a copy of your eligibility letter when responding to this announcement. If this is not supplied with your resume, we will not be able to consider your candidacy.
Duties Description Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Assist, advise, and advocate for veterans as well as their families and survivors on a variety of topics and concerns relating to their rights and benefits. Topics include but are not limited to: educational training, military law, employment and reemployment, health, medical and rehabilitation services and facilities, and the provisions of laws relating to veterans’ rights and privileges.
• Serve as the lead administrator of the New York State Blind Annuity, Gold Star Parent, and Supplemental Burial Programs.
• May perform the full range of supervisory duties.
• Perform other duties as directed.
• Travel is required.
• Possession and maintenance of a valid Driver’s License issued by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle is required, or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.