Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service eligible list or a current NYS employee eligible for transfer. Depending on qualifications, candidates may be required to serve a two-year traineeship that leads to the journey level grade 18 position.
Appointment may be made by the following:
1) Eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
2) For Provisional appointment:
In the event an eligible list for this title does not exist, or has less than three acceptors, an applicant meeting the following minimum qualifications may be appointed on a provisional basis:
For Accountant Trainee 1: A bachelors or higher degree in accounting, auditing, or taxation OR a bachelors or higher degree with 24 semester credit hours in accounting, auditing or taxation courses.
For Senior Accountant: A bachelors degree in accounting, auditing or taxation and 2 yrs. of professional experience in accounting/auditing OR a bachelors or higher degree including or supplemented by 24 credit hour in accounting, auditing or taxation AND 2 yrs. of professional experience in accounting/auditing OR a masters or higher degree in accounting, auditing or taxation AND one year of professional experience in accounting/auditing OR a currently valid Certified Public Accountant (DPA) license and registration issued by New York State.
*Note: Provisional appointments are made pending an exam and will be revoked if the selected candidate is not immediately reachable on the eligible list resulting from the next holding of the exam.
Duties Description Under the direction of an Investment Systems Manager, the incumbent must be able to perform the following essential functions:
• Maintain a working knowledge of accounting principles and procedures in the development, examination, review and analysis of financial and accounting records including the preparation of reports, statements and reconciliations.
• Provide documentation and reports to assist with audit requests.
• Demonstrate exceptional attention to detail and the ability to effectively prioritize work based on various deadlines.
• Address inquiries from Treasury, bank and agency personnel regarding various accounts.
• Assist in creation of daily transactional files to be uploaded and processed by various banks.
• Coordinate with external entities to process disbursement requests.
• Communicate with bank personnel to accept and release collateral securities.
• Coordinate daily with SFS and OSC to release State payments.
• Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
• Maintain comprehensive documentation of unit policies and procedures.
• Update and maintain various databases.
• Oversight and problem resolution on production of checks and electronic payments.
• Perform other related accounting activities and special projects as required.
• Adhere to the Department’s time and attendance requirements
Preferred Qualification: Knowledge of the NYS Statewide Financial System
This position is at Treasury's downtown offices, located at 110 State Street, Albany, NY. Parking may be available at the Office of General Service's peripheral parking lots.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified Candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume, including current title and how you qualify, and a copy of your unofficial college transcript. Please reference the vacancy ID number, job title and Treasury Division with your response.