1 Chimney Point Drive
Minimum Qualifications Currently employed as an Addictions Counselor 1 ~OR~ Current registration as a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) in NYS and reachable on the Civil Service eligible list. ~OR~ eligible for transfer.
NOTE: Applicants must possess current registration as a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) in New York State. Candidate must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicaid and Medicare programs. Failure to maintain certification and Medicaid/Medicare eligibility will result in the termination of employment.
Mandatory overtime (MOT) is a requirement of this position. Chosen candidate(s) will be added to the mandatory overtime roster, which is utilized on a rotating basis. The MOT is applied during times of emergency, when all other staffing options have been exhausted (volunteers, hourly staff, contracted staff). Our Addiction Treatment Centers (ATCs) operate 24/7/365 programing. Therefore, MOT IS an essential function of this position and is critical to maintaining adequate staffing at all times in order to ensure the health and safety of clients within the facility.
Duties Description The Addictions Counselor 1 serves as a member of the Addiction Treatment Center’s (ATC’s) multidisciplinary treatment team and works under the supervision of a higher-level Addictions Counselor or Licensed Master Social Worker performing duties related to the care and counseling of clients. Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
• Functions as a primary counselor for an assigned group or groups of clients managing all facets of clinical services and direct care.
• Provides individual and group therapy and facilitates a variety of recreational, vocational, and social activities.
• Interviews clients and reviews medical/psychiatric history; completes various assessments as part of treatment plan development
• Monitors patient compliance with treatment goals.
• Completes required client and facility documentation (both electronic and paper) adhering to applicable OASAS procedures and confidentiality regulations.
• Provides orientation to the clients regarding the nature of the treatment facility, including its programs, activities, policies, and rules.
• Provides Crisis Intervention.
• Maintains relationships with vocational, educational, social services, probation, parole, referral agencies, and other community agencies associated with client rehabilitation to ensure continuity of services.
• May communicate with insurance companies to obtain both preauthorization and recurring reviews.
• Conducts routine rounds and documents observations; maintains a safe and therapeutic environment.
• May transport clients using agency vehicles.
• Participates in meal preparation and distribution.
• Communicates shift change information as appropriate to facilitate smooth transition.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Comments OASAS Addiction Treatment Centers (ATCs) are Tobacco Free Facilities.
If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice .
Excellent Health Insurance Benefits Including Vision and Dental, NYS Employees Retirement System (Pension), Optional Deferred Compensation, Continuing Education Benefits, Generous Paid Leave Benefits, Compensation for 12 State holidays per year.
Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC) that includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
This position may be designated 55 b/c and is subject to verification of applicant eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1450 Western Ave