Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications for the Investigator 2:
Reachable for appointment from the current Investigator 2 eligible list #38-354; OR
A current New York State employee eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. The titles approved to transfer via 70.1 to the Investigator 2 include: Excise Tax Investigator 2, SG-20, Investigative Officer 2 Unemployment Insurance, SG-20, Investigative Specialist 1, SG-18, Investigator 2, SG-18 or Investigator 2 License, SG-18; OR
Eligible for provisional appointment with one year of permanent competitive Investigator 1 or Investigator 1 (any language parenthetic) service.
Note: If there are no qualified candidates to fill the Investigator 2 on a permanent or provisional basis by meeting the above qualifications, the position will be filled on a provisional basis by a candidate who meets the Investigator 1 qualifications as shown below. The candidate will be appointed to an Investigator 1 position and subsequently provisionally appointed as an Investigator 2. Service in the Investigator 2 position will be counted toward completion of the Investigator 1 probationary period, while on a leave of absence from this title. After one year of successful service, the candidate may be appointed permanently as an Investigator 2.
Minimum Qualifications for the Investigator 1:
Reachable for appointment from the current Investigator 1 eligible list #26-511; OR
A current New York State employee eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Duties Description Under the general direction of the Director of Lottery Security, the Investigator 2 will perform duties that include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Conducts Lottery investigations into all complaints or matters of a complex or sensitive nature.
• Reviews the rules for the applicable Lottery games, promotions, raffles, and coupons and reviews policies regarding ticket generations, ticket validations, ticket cancellations, book activations, payout requirements, and irregular activity.
• Determines if the Lottery transactions have been correctly processed and if the customer has been paid the correct prize amount.
• Analyzes and identifies the issues involved and decides the most appropriate strategies to be employed for case resolution based on Gaming Commission policies and procedures.
• Visits Lottery retailer locations, identifies licensed Lottery owners, interviews/interrogates all involved individuals, physically inspects all relevant areas of retailer location.
• Evaluates all witness statements, Lottery computer records & summary reports, background histories, and other evidence needed to resolve the issue.
• Coordinates and oversees investigations with relevant law enforcement departments, governmental agencies, and administrative hearing officials.
• Makes recommendation based upon a proper weighing of all evidence; presents the entirety of all complex and sensitive investigations to the Director of Lottery Security for review and appropriate action.
• May supervise Investigator 1 in the Buffalo office; oversees and implements training.
• Review casework and fieldwork of Investigators with input from the Director of Security.
• Prepares factual written reports of information gathered during an investigation; and may recommend an appropriate course of action consistent with findings and agency policy and procedures.
• May participate in joint agency operations targeting patterns of non-compliance or violations by regulated entities.
• Assists other unit as needed with investigatory determinations.
• Conducts jackpot claim reviews.
• Prepares periodic status reports for higher level staff.
• Conducts background investigations into retailer license applications when necessary.
• Any other necessary duties as determined by the Director of Lottery Security.
• Investigators may need to work outside of normal business hours to conduct surveillance or perform investigatory duties.
• Strong computer skills, including experiences using databases.
• Ability to interpret written communications from the public and others.
• Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
• Must have a valid driver’s license or otherwise demonstrate the ability meet transportation requirements of the position.
• Must be able to work independently and handle stressful situations appropriately.
Additional Comments NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies, who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Telecommuting is NOT available for Gaming Commission employees.
Prohibition against Playing and Wagering:
Commission employees and family members residing in their households are prohibited from purchasing Lottery tickets or claiming Lottery prizes. Commission employees are prohibited from wagering upon any horse racing, commercial gaming, video lottery gaming, Indian gaming, charitable gaming activities, interactive fantasy sports, and mobile sports wagering within the State. To avoid any appearance of impropriety of conflict of interest, Commission employees will be prohibited from all aspects of promoting, operating, and playing in any charitable gaming, which includes bingo and games of chance such as raffles, whether the organization conducting the game is required to be licensed by the Commission. The prohibition placed upon each Commission employee from assisting with any charitable gaming does not apply to the employee's family unless the employee thinks it presents a conflict of interest related to his or her job duties. Commission employees must also avoid any outside activities that could interfere or be perceived to interfere with their job duties.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingEmail submissions are preferred. Investigator (Buffalo) should be indicated in the subject line.
Please send your cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format. We are unable to open documents from Google Docs, Google Drive, OneDrive and/or "the Cloud".
Please indicate your current Civil Service title (if applicable) and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
Your Social Security Number may be required to confirm your eligibility.