Duties Description Reporting to the Human Resources Specialist 5 Municipal Assistance, M-3, this position is responsible for assisting in managing all activities of a section within the Municipal Services Division. There are two sections, the Commission Operations – Local section and the Municipal Assistance Section. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Communicating with elected local government officials, members of the public, staff of other State agencies responsible for regulating positions in local government and professional organizations representing various occupational areas.
• Traveling to municipal civil service agencies throughout New York State as assigned, individually or as part of a team.
• Supervision and development of subordinate staff.
• Research and development of guidance documents and training materials.
When assigned to the Commission Operations – Local Section the duties include preparing all materials related to local government resolutions and Section 211 Waivers for presentation to the State Civil Service Commission.
• Analyzing and making recommendations to the State Civil Service Commission on jurisdictional classification and Rules Text amendments submitted by local civil service agencies regarding their appropriateness.
• Analyzing and making recommendations to the State Civil Service Commission on 211 waivers for State and local employees.
• Preparing and presenting recommendations to the New York State Civil Service Commission each month.
When assigned to the Municipal Assistance Section the duties include responding to inquiries about examinations and providing technical advice and assistance to local civil service agencies.
• Serving as the lead team member of staff relative to the Technical Assistance Review (TAR) and the Employee Suggestion Program (ESP).
• Analyzing annual reports submitted by the 95 local civil service agencies and preparing the Summary of Annual Reports for the State Civil Service Commission.
Additional Comments NOTE ON TELECOMMUTING: DCS Employees are required to apply and obtain approval through management to telecommute according to DCS Telecommuting Pilot Program Guidelines.
NOTE ON COVID-19 VACCINATION/WEEKLY TESTING: All State employees in Executive controlled agencies who are not subject to a mandatory vaccination requirement shall be tested for COVID-19 weekly unless they are fully vaccinated.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Office of Human Resources and Administrative Planning