79-25 Winchester Blvd.
Duties Description Maintenance Assistants use hand and shop tools to perform semi-skilled maintenance and repair work on structures and equipment. As semi-skilled workers, Maintenance Assistants perform routine, repetitive maintenance, installation and repair tasks in one or a combination of the mechanical, building construction, motor equipment, and electrical trades.
Incumbents may also perform journey level activities, under supervision or after receiving detailed instructions, to learn and perfect their skills. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Performs routine replacement and repair of plumbing and steam fitting equipment and installation of new equipment, according to layouts provided by the supervisor, by cutting, fitting, and threading pipe; removing existing pipes and fixtures; repairing and adjusting water mixers, thermostats, and other fixtures locating and unplugging stoppages; repairing domestic steam equipment such as steam tables, dishwashers, and laundry equipment repairing leaks in steam and water lines; overhauling vacuum pumps; and insulating steam lines.
• Performs semiskilled carpentry activities including repairing doors, windows, window sashes, storm windows, stairs, railings, furniture, locks, and door hardware operating shop machinery to make and assemble bookcases, shelves, tables, trenches, signs, and modular furniture erecting and moving partitions building forms for concrete work and, under supervision, assisting in erecting and renovating buildings and structures.
• Performs semiskilled masonry repairs and installation activities such, as pointing up brick and stone work, patching plaster walls, setting tiles, laying brick and stone, finishing concrete work, replacing fire brick in boilers, and operating equipment including mixers and concrete block machines.
• Assists in painting and decorating work by performing interior and exterior painting not requiring fine finish or decorative treatment, staining and finishing wood and furniture, painting equipment, installing wallpaper, and spray-painting surfaces and equipment.
• Performs the routine tasks of the electrical trade, including repairing electrical equipment such as overhead door motors, vacuum cleaners, electric ranges, and other appliances; replacing brushes on large electric motors; laying and repairing electrical cables and wires; installing and maintaining lighting fixtures, outlets, and switches: and adjusting points and contacts on electrical equipment.
Additional Comments Background Investigation/Justice Center Review:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
Additional Comments: This position is eligible for the Downstate Adjustment of $3,026.
OMH hospital employees must be fully vaccinated or willing to become fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Candidates who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may not start working until two weeks after their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
79-25 Windhester Blvd.
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. OMH is deeply committed to supporting underserved individuals, organizations and communities. To this end, OMH is focused on implementing activities and initiatives to reduce disparities in access, quality, and treatment outcomes for underserved populations. A critical component of these efforts is ensuring OMH is a diverse and inclusive workplace where the unique attributes and skills of all employees are valued and utilized to support the mission of the Agency. OMH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.