Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Engineer Trainee (Civil/Transportation) or Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) OR candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Duties Description Under the direction of a Professional Engineer, the incumbents will function as Canal Project Engineers (CPE) or Senior Inspector and be responsible for acting as the on-site representative of the Corporation to administer construction contracts and, in partnership with the contractor, to achieve the established goals of the construction program. Incumbents will perform the following engineering and engineering related duties:
• Act as the primary point of contact between the contractor and the functional or administrative organizational units within the Corporation. The CPE will be the primary authority to order the contractor to stop work, suspend work, or issue any order that affects the progress of the work.
• Ensure documentation is kept of all construction activities in accordance with the Manual of Uniform Record Keeping (MURK) and the Contract Administration Manual (CAM).
• Interpret plans and specifications to ensure contractor adherence to contract requirements.
• In consultation with the CM, make routine or minor alterations, quantity adjustments, or specification changes which are in accordance with the project intent, scope and budget using the various forms of available change orders.
• Resolve disputes arising from disagreements of contractual requirements and the involvement with other affected parties, such as utilities, municipalities and adjacent property owners.
• Supervise temporary and consultant inspection staff, including the assignment of staff to construction activities, to assure that contractor compliance is properly maintained.
• Conduct progress meetings in accordance with Corporation policy. Monitor contract progress both in terms of specified milestones and final completion. If necessary, direct the contractor to revise work plans in order to restore compliance to the contractual schedule. Review and recommend action on contractor requests for time extensions.
• Maintain a record of as-built changes and, upon completion, prepares and submits the final as-built plans.
• Ensure adherence to all applicable Federal, State and Local Laws, Rules and Regulations, including the State Labor Law (Article 8), the Federal Davis-Bacon Act, the State Finance Law (Prompt Payment Legislation), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Disadvantaged/Minority and Women Business Enterprise (D/M/WBE) programs, and Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Business (SDVOB) programs.
• Monitor contracts for compliance with all Federal, State and Local Laws, Rules and Ordinances which relate to protection of the environment, including permit requirements for wetlands, water quality, Army Corps of Engineers and Coast Guard.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying**E-MAIL SUBMISSION PREFERRED**
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the position should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 9/14/2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title AND VACANCY NUMBER, Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email email@example.com.