Minimum Qualifications Reassignment - Currently in the title and an employee of DEC
Reinstatement Eligible - Previously held the title on a permanent competitive basis or held a title as indicated under the transfer eligible section on a permanent competitive basis.
Transfer Eligible - One year of permanent competitive service at Salary Grade 11 or higher and:
Eligible for transfer under Section 70.4: Must meet the open competitive minimum qualifications below;
Eligible for transfer under Section 70.1: Environmental Program Specialist 1 (Natural Resources), Forestry Technician 2 and Forestry Technician 3
55-b/55-c Candidates must meet the open competitive minimum qualifications below and include with their resume or application, a copy of the letter from Civil Service which indicates approval for the 55-b/55-c program.
Open competitive minimum qualifications (provided for 55b/c candidates and 70.4 transfer eligibles):
A bachelor's or higher degree in ecological forest management, forest biology, forest ecosystem science, forest health, forest resource management, forestry, Natural Resources Planning, Natural Resources Management, Natural Resources Conservation, or urban forestry.
A bachelor's or higher degree including or supplemented by 24 credits in any of the following; dendrology, entomology, environmental planning (as part of a forestry program), environmental policy (as part of a forestry program), environmental resource management (as part of a forestry program), forest ecology, forest ecosystem, forest entomology, forest inventories, forest pathology, forest management, forest measurement/inventory, forest recreation, forest recreation management, geographic information system (GIS), natural resources planning, natural resources policy, pathology, plant entomology, plant pathology, silviculture, soils, surveying, or wilderness management.
Duties Description The incumbent will be responsible for the management of State Forest lands and will contribute to the Urban Forestry and Private Land Services programs within Chenango and Madison Counties.
Job duties will include:
• Developing State Forest Unit Management Plans (UMPs) and presenting information at public meetings.
• Implementing UMPs including developing work plans, conducting forest inventory and stand analysis, prescribing forest management treatments, monitoring recreational use and associated impacts, and monitoring forest health issues.
• Utilizing GPS/GIS to collect data in the field, incorporating data into Department's databases, and producing maps and reports.
• Preparing and administrating timber sale contracts and associated construction and maintenance projects on State Forest lands.
• Working cooperatively with other Department programs and stakeholders to complete projects, including requesting and coordinating Operations work on state forests as well as overseeing Volunteer Stewardship Agreements and Temporary Revocable Permits.
•Conducting outreach with local communities to strengthen and increase participation the Urban Forestry program within Chenango and Madison Counties.
• Assisting with the Forest Tax Law program as needed and other program-related activities as assigned by supervisor.
• Supervising forest technicians and seasonal staff as needed.
• Will be required to carry equipment over rough terrain while preforming fieldwork.
Additional Comments Must have a valid driver’s license or demonstrate the ability to meet the transportation needs of the position. Must be able to negotiate difficult terrain Must be able to work in remote areas. Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions. Travel may be required. Overnight travel may be required. Must be able to lift and move objects up to 50 pounds. Telecommuting may be available, will be discussed at interview.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease email/mail resume indicating your interest in this position to the above. Be sure to include Posting #22-802 on your resume and also in the subject line of your email or it may not be accepted.
PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT WITH YOUR RESUME. Unofficial copy is acceptable.