Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service eligible list for Engineer Trainee (Civil/Transportation) or Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) OR candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a title eligible for transfer under the provisions of Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Candidates must provide proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (FE) AND obtain a qualifying bachelor’s degree or higher as listed below;
Or must provide proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (FE) AND one year of full-time qualifying engineering experience as listed below.
A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering; Civil Engineering Technology; Construction Engineering; Construction Engineering Technology; Construction Engineering Management Technology; Geological Engineering; Geotechnical Engineering; Hydraulics Engineering; Materials Engineering; Materials Science and Engineering; Metallurgical and Materials Engineering; Structural Engineering; Transportation Engineering or Transportation Planning and Engineering
One year of full time engineering experience with transportation projects related to highways/roadways, railroads, bridges, airports, waterways, building structures or traffic management safety systems.
Duties Description The Engineer Trainee or Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation) incumbent would report to the Regional Canal Engineers or their designee and, under the close supervision of higher level staff, perform the following engineering and engineering related duties:
• Work collaboratively with Regional staff, Asset Management, Inspection, Water Management, Dam Safety, and Operations & Maintenance personnel to execute informal inspection for earthen embankments in the Western Region at the predetermined frequencies.
• Act as liaison between NYPA Dam Safety engineering support staff as well as Operations and Maintenance staff.
• Maintain maps and databases indicating current areas of concern along the earthen embankments.
• Collect and document data from various instrumentation along the embankments.
• Coordinate with internal and external entities to ensure areas of concern along the embankments are being addressed.
• Provide real time feedback on active areas of concern on an as needed basis.
• Document modifications/ interventions to the earthen embankments within the Region.
• Review design plans relevant to earthen embankments and water impounding structures.
• Collaborate with other functional groups on future solutions for earthen embankments.
• Stay up to date on all required Dam Safety training.
• Develop and apply understanding of dam safety principles and the NYSCC Embankment Inspection & Maintenance Guidebook.
• Follow established duty officer procedure as it relates to internal communications.
• Significant field work is necessary in order to perform informal earthen embankment inspections, possibly including performing quality assessment of work performed or underway, and assist in resolving unexpected field conditions.
• Statewide collaboration with other engineers and Canal Management.
• Working collaboratively with Asset Management, Inspection, Dam Safety, and Maintenance personnel to plan, design, implement, and oversee maintenance and construction work.
• Assessing and determining the required scope of work for various civil, electrical, mechanical, and environmental projects.
• Preparing reports, plans, and details to support various maintenance and construction projects.
• Preparing specifications and other detailed requirements for the work tasks.
• Estimating the cost of planned work and monitoring the cost during the construction phase.
• Assist in procuring materials, equipment, and services.
• Field work necessary to assess future work, perform quality assessment of work performed or underway, and assist in resolving unexpected field conditions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on Applying**E-MAIL SUBMISSION PREFERRED**
Interested candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the position should send a cover letter and resume by the application deadline of 11/14/2022 to email@example.com. Please include the position title AND VACANCY NUMBER, Engineer Trainee/Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation), in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
The New York State Canal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
New York State Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, marital status, gender identity, prior arrests, prior conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics or domestic violence victim status.
The New York State Canal Corporation provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.