75 New Scotland Avenue
Duties Description Under the dentist's direct personal supervision, provides supportive services to the dentist. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Notes treatments prescribed and scheduled for appointment periods and prepares work area by laying out needed materials and required instruments in proper array.
• During the performance of treatment procedures by the dentist, stays by the dentist at chair-side, anticipates the dentist’s needs, and hands the dentist appropriate instruments and materials.
• Prepares materials using standard procedures, timing the preparation to meet treatment needs and bringing the materials to chair-side for use by the dentist.
• As indicated by the progress of events in treatment and as instructed by the dentist, personally performs retractions of the patient’s tongue and cheek and manipulates syringes and suction equipment.
• Observes patient’s general condition during treatment, including oral surgery, in order to detect evidence of distress or shock and reports observations to dentist.
• Takes x-rays by positioning patients, adjusting and operating x-ray equipment, and developing and mounting exposed film in order to provide information useful in diagnosis and treatment.
• Posts and files records of appointments and patients' clinical records.
• Performs light housekeeping tasks including sterilizing dental instruments, inventories and reorders dental supplies and materials.
Additional Comments Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), that includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees may be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
OMH hospital employees must be fully vaccinated or willing to become fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Candidates who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may not start working until two weeks after their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
75 New Scotland Avenue
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your resume and other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.
The Mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers, with a focus on providing hope and supporting recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. Applicants with lived mental health experience are encouraged to apply. OMH is deeply committed to supporting underserved individuals, organizations, and communities. To this end, OMH is focused on implementing activities and initiatives to reduce disparities in access, quality, and treatment outcomes for underserved populations. A critical component of these efforts is ensuring OMH is a diverse and inclusive workplace where all employees' unique attributes and skills are valued and utilized to support the mission of the Agency. OMH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.