Minimum Qualifications Four years of experience as an automotive or diesel mechanic responsible for the diagnosis of faulty vehicle and/or equipment operation and the performance of mechanical repairs covering several aspects of automotive and/or diesel systems. (On your application you must specify types of repair work performed and the kinds of vehicles on which you performed this work.)
An Associate's degree in automotive or diesel repair technology
Substitution: Education as detailed below may be substituted for a maximum of two years of experience.
1. Graduation from a technical or vocational program, such as B.O.C.E.S, in automotive or diesel technology or automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for one year of experience.
2. Graduation from a one-year post high school certificate program in automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Experience limited to airplane (aviation) mechanic (except for ground equipment); gas station attendant; the repair of motorcycles, motor boats, or small engines; installation or repair of transmissions, mufflers, brakes, or tires; new car preparation; auto body repair work; or management activities as the owner or supervisor of a repair shop or service station is NOT QUALIFYING.
Within one (1) year from appointment to a Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment) position, candidates must obtain a valid NYS Inspection Certification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles; and also must obtain a valid New York State Class B Commercial Driver’s License with no air brake restriction.
Cannabis use is not permitted for employees in this title and assignment. Cannabis use will be tested for during the pre-employment screening process and may be the basis for disqualification for employment or may be a basis for removal from employment.
Duties Description Motor Equipment Mechanics perform preventive maintenance and routine repairs on a variety of Department vehicles and other equipment. Overtime will be required and during the Winter Maintenance Season you may be placed on a shift other than the day shift. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
• Diagnose and correct the causes of faulty vehicle and equipment operation
• Overhaul, adjust and repair gaseous fuel engines, clutches, transmissions and differentials; ignition, wiring, lighting, fuel, cooling, braking and complex hydraulic systems; steering, wheel and suspension mechanisms; and body, cab and frame components
• Conduct NYS inspections
• Overhaul and rebuild starters, generators, compressors, pumps (fuel, water, air and hydraulic), spreaders, small engines, mowers and a variety of other equipment, including but not limited to, track vehicles, loaders (front-end and belt), cranes, shovels, lifts, hydraulic excavators, etc.
• Diagnose and repair electronic engine control systems, anti-lock brake systems and air conditioning
• May be required to do cutting and welding
• Make road calls and test drive equipment
• Complete reports, use parts catalogs and perform other related duties
• Effectively utilize the department fleet management software and DOT electronic systems to assist in repair, ordering, and managing the repair schedule and parts stock
Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment physical prior to appointment and participate in substance abuse testing while in the position.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments To Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a current resume, letter of interest and a completed NYS Dept. of Transportation Application for Employment (S1000 Part 1) with Notice Number R04-23-02 included in the subject line and referenced in the letter of interest to:
Lisa M. Schuster
Administrative Services Director
New York State Department of Transportation- Region 4
1530 Jefferson Rd.
Rochester, NY 14623
***PLEASE INCLUDE R04-23-02 IN SUBJECT LINE***
Applications and resumes must be received or postmarked no later than December 31, 2023.
Region 4 Fleet Administration covers the following 7 Counties:
Monroe, Livingston, Wayne. Ontario, Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming
** Additional Salary Information
The starting salary for this position is $55,146. This amount is comprised of the base salary of $46,146 with an additional geographic pay differential of $9,000, specific to the title and location in which you are hired.
*Telecommuting: The Department’s current telecommuting agreement is valid through January 31, 2023 and is subject to extension beyond that date.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The New York State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, minority group members, disabled persons and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided for the disabled.
In compliance with Public Law 99-603, candidates selected for appointment must provide an original document to prove their citizenship and/or legal right to work in the United States.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.