AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleChief Technology Office Student Assistant, Ref. #VARIOUS CTO
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $21.31 to $23.90 Hourly
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? No
Minimum Qualifications • Must be a US citizen or foreign national eligible to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must be currently attending a New York State college, university or graduate program, or be a resident of New York State attending a college, university or graduate program outside of New York State
• Minimum Sophomore level college student
• Major in one of the following, or similar technology related area of study.
• Information Technology/Information Systems,
• Computer Science, Information Science
• Business Analytics, Information Project Management
• Computer Animation, Software Engineering
• Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
• Data Management, Database Systems
• Cybersecurity, Critical Infrastructure
• Management Information Systems,
• Computer Data Processing,
• UX / Human Interaction and Design
• Must have completed a minimum of one (1) year as a student at a degree-granting two or four-year college or university (completion of one year’s worth of academic credits over a more extended period of time may qualify part-time students)
• Or currently enrolled graduate student or accepted in a graduate degree program
• Must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or equivalent to a C.
Duties Description The NYS Information Technology Services (ITS) - Chief Technology Office (CTO) is responsible for a large number of technology functions serving NY state agencies. Technical, analytical, and business/solutions process engineering opportunities are available.
Positions will be in the following bureaus performing various duties, including bit not limited to:
• Data Center Services:
- resolve facilities-related equipment issues
- assist with cabling, power and equipment installations
• Innovation & Engineering:
- integrate user experience (UX) design into technology projects across multiple agencies
- design technology solutions that improve the usability, functionality, and the overall experience for NYS citizens.
- perform website development, and visual and automated testing of website content and technical requirements, browser and device compatibility and accessibility standards.
• Business Application Services:
- Perform application development, including modern web and mobile frameworks
• Shared Platform Services
- Assist with enterprise services used to support application development
• Service Delivery
- Support functions of IT Service Management, IT Process Management, Robotic Process Automation, Metrics, Software Asset Management
• Enterprise Network Services
- Create network design, deployment, resiliency, monitoring and operations.
- Monitor network security, client connectivity and firewalls.
• Workplace Services
- Support Client Computing platforms, software virtualization, PC, mobile, and virtual software fulfillment.
Additional Comments Fingerprinting and background check may be required.
Benefits of Working for NYS for eligible employees:
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to Five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF/CSEA
• Up to Eight (8) days of paid sick leave annually for M/C
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
• Up to 50% telecommuting
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Name CTO Student Recruitment Team
Email Address Students@its.ny.gov
Street NYS Information Technology Services
Swan Street Building, Core 4
Notes on ApplyingApplicants should please complete the NYS CTO Student Assistant Application Form (https://tinyurl.com/2k2jhao6) which requires:
• Uploading a copy of your current resume.
• Uploading a copy of your official or unofficial transcript for proof of current enrollment.
• Completing and uploading the NYS ITS Employment Application Part 1 (https://tinyurl.com/2lruu4ku).
• Rank the areas of CTO you are most interested in working. To learn more about each CTO area, please review the recorded presentation given to CUNY.
o Webinar Recording: https://bit.ly/41AvVet
o Webinar Slide-Deck: https://bit.ly/3KMOVjK
All applications must submit through the above CTO Student Assistant Form, ensuring all uploads are made, prior to April 15, 2023.