AgencyInformation Technology Services, Office of
TitleManager Information Technology Services 1 (Information Security) Ref #30484M
Occupational CategoryI.T. Engineering, Sciences
Bargaining UnitPS&T - Professional, Scientific, and Technical (PEF)
Salary RangeFrom $97826 to $120492 Annually
Jurisdictional Class Non-competitive Class
Compressed workweek allowed? Yes
Street Address Harriman State Office Campus Bldg 5, 4th Fl
OR NYC or other locations statewide*
Minimum Qualifications Bachelor’s degree* and five years of information technology experience, including three years of information security or information assurance experience.
* Appropriate information security or information assurance experience may substitute for the bachelor’s degree on a year-for-year basis; an associate’s degree requires an additional two years of information technology, information security, or information assurance experience. Experience solely in information security or information assurance may substitute for the general information technology experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration or major in Information Security, Cyber Security, Digital Forensics, Information Assurance, or a comparable IT major such as Computer Science or Computer Systems Engineering.
• Applicable Information Security certificate(s), including but not limited to:
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certificate in Information Security Management (e.g., GSLC, GSTRT, GCEIT, CISM, CCISO)
- Certificate in Information Security Risk Management (e.g., CRISC, CAP, GCCC, CCSLP)
• Working knowledge of:
- computer networks, intrusion detection systems, routers, firewalls, operating systems, network vulnerability assessments, web application vulnerability assessments, computer programming and scripting
- government security and privacy mandates/regulatory compliance (e.g., HIPAA, PCI, IRS Pub 1075, CJIS)
- Information Security (CIA triad, Information Classification, Risk Management, Incident Response, Vulnerability Management, Security Architecture & Engineering)
- business intelligence, data analysis, data modeling, data visualization, and data presentation
- Information Security Frameworks (NIST Cyber Security Framework, CIS Controls, ISO 2700 series)
- IT Management Frameworks (ITIL, COBIT)
• 4+ years’ experience in the following areas:
- applying and implementing network and/or system security, independently or as part of the responsibilities as an IT professional working in an area such as software development, identity management, networking, or database management.
- technical writing
• 3+ years’ experience in the following areas:
- leading an information security team
- information security incident response
- security policy/standard/guideline development, implementation, or interpretation
- conducting risk assessments and evaluating information technology systems for security controls (SSDLC)
- compliance assessments, audit support/response, and compliance/audit remediation
• 1+ year experience in the following areas:
- developing metrics and key performance indicators
- process development and process improvement
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate information technology and information security concepts to a varied audience to facilitate wide understanding
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
• Demonstrated skill in facilitating meetings, listening, and negotiating between multiple stakeholders to drive results
Duties Description Under the direction of senior team members within the Chief Information Security Office (CISO)/Information Security Engineering/ITS SAE Support section, the position will lead a team that provides security services to areas within ITS. The incumbent will lead their team in providing in-depth and highly technical information security consulting and services focused on the enterprise services ITS provides to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of these systems.
The position requires an incumbent to act with a great deal of independence in alignment with agency and upper-level management strategic direction. The position requires communicating orally and in writing with various individuals including management, users, vendors, and other IT staff. The incumbent must be able to communicate clearly with subordinate staff regarding work priorities and performance. The incumbent will have to work with ITS teams and upper-level agency management to resolve technically complex and politically sensitive issues under pressure.
The position requires availability during off-shift hours to ensure appropriate response to security incidents or other critical activities that may impact sensitive information, critical systems, NYS agencies, or ITS.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Lead detailed technical security reviews of systems and architecture.
• Review risks in new and existing system designs and architecture and presenting information about these risks to other units in CISO.
• Participate in workgroups to develop solutions and standards for IT systems.
• Provide recommendations for secure/hardened configurations of servers, platforms, networks, and other IT systems.
• Manage and resolve security threats to agency information systems.
• Serve as information security expert and evaluate systems and contracts for alignment with agency and State information security policies; and assist with development and maintenance of these policies.
• Manage staff and resources dedicated to the team.
• Monitor and maintain awareness of information security industry trends, tools and techniques.
• Maintain an adequate level of current knowledge and proficiency in information security through annual Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits directly related to information security.
• Assist CISO management with overall management of division activities as needed.
• Perform additional duties as required.
Additional Comments Background check and fingerprinting are required.
*Please note, this position may be filled in either Albany, NYC, or other locations statewide.
Benefits of Working for NYS
Generous benefits package, worth 65% of salary, including:
• Holiday & Paid Time Off
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid vacation leave annually
• Up to five (5) days of paid personal leave annually
• Up to thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave annually for PEF
• Up to three (3) days of professional leave annually to participate in professional development
Health Care Benefits
• Eligible employees and dependents can pick from a variety of affordable health insurance programs
• Family dental and vision benefits at no additional cost
• New York State Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) Membership
• NYS Deferred Compensation
• Access to NY 529 and NY ABLE College Savings Programs, as well as U.S. Savings Bonds
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
• Up to 50% telecommuting
• And many more.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Email Address PostingResponses@its.ny.gov
Street Office of IT Services Human Resources Management
Empire State Plaza, Swan Street Building, Core 4, 1st Floor
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please submit a resume and cover letter indicating that you are applying for Manager Information Technology Services 1 (Information Security) Ref #30484M. Please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Your Social Security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees. New York State is an equal opportunity employer.