Minimum Qualifications Possession of a license and current registration to practice dentistry in New York State.
Transfer Qualifications: Candidates must have permanent competitive status in the posted title and be eligible for lateral transfer.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
This Dentist 1 will provide professional dental care for individuals receiving services by diagnosing and treating diseases, injuries and malformations of teeth and gums. The person in this position will perform a full range of professional dental duties in connection with the treatment of dental diseases or dental health problems requiring corrective restorative or preventive measures and will be involved in dental health cases with individuals who experience challenging behaviors and/or may have communication challenges.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conducting examinations of individuals teeth and surrounding oral structures utilizing x-rays, mouth mirrors and other diagnostic procedures and instruments to determine pathological or irregular conditions. Treating dental diseases, injuries and malfunctions of teeth and gums. Performing restoration of simple and compound cavities. Administering anesthetics. Performing oral surgery commensurate with professional qualifications. Performing extractions of teeth. Cleaning teeth by scaling calculus. Treating teeth, mouth and gum infections with appropriate drugs or by surgery. Maintaining written records of individuals dental treatments. Advising individuals about dental health practices. Instructing and directs paraprofessional staff in the performance of auxiliary duties. A willingness to learn and use MIPS stabilizations when treating individuals with challenging behaviors. Be NYS certified in Dental Enteral Conscious Sedation or be willing to become certified. Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Please note, the posted salary includes an approved Increased Hiring Rate to Job Rate ($139,246), an approved Geographic Differential of $35,000
• If you are currently a New York State employee serving in a permanent competitive qualifying title and eligible for a transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law, you may be appointed to this title as a permanent competitive employee.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• If you are employed by state government you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on Direct Loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments have been made under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that they need a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Workforce and Talent Management Central Office at (518) 473-4785 or Email at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain information and RA forms.
• Savings programs such as the U.S. Savings Bond and the College Savings Plan.
• Voluntary pre-tax savings programs such as Health Care Spending Account and the Dependent Care Advantage Account offer employees options to pay for uncovered health care expenses or dependent care expenses.
• Access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) an assessment and referral service that connects employees with local service providers and support services to address their personal needs.
• Life insurance and Disability insurance.
• The New York State Deferred Compensation Plan is a voluntary retirement plan that offers employees the option to invest a part of their salaries for retirement on a tax-deferred basis.
NYS offers Incredible Benefits!
Paid Holidays and Leave
• Thirteen (13) paid holidays each year.
• Five (5) days paid personal leave each year.
• Thirteen (13) days of paid sick leave each year (PEF/CSEA), which may carry over from year to year.
• Up to three (3) days professional leave each year to participate in professional development events.
Health Care Coverage
Employees and their eligible dependents can choose from a variety of affordable health insurance programs. Employees are provided family dental and vision plans at no extra cost.
Participate in The NYS Employees’ Retirement System (ERS), which is recognized as one of the best-managed and best-funded public retirement systems in the nation.
Professional Development and Education and Training
NYS offers training programs and tuition assistance to eligible employees to maintain and increase their professional skills and prepare them for promotional opportunities. For more information, please visit https://goer.ny.gov/training-and-professional-development.
Additionally, the Public Service Workshops Program (PSWP) offers certain professional training opportunities for PEF represented and M/C designated employees that may grant continuing education credits towards maintaining professional licensure. For more information, please visit https://oer.ny.gov/public-service-workshops-program-pswp.
• OPWDD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to creating and sustaining a culture of inclusion. We believe that we are most effective in managing and improving our service system with a diverse team of employees. With such a large workforce, we rely on the collective individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, self-expression, ideas and talent that our employees bring to their work. This speaks to our culture and is a key part of our successes. As we continuously recruit people for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that applicants bring in terms of their education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingSubmit Response to Posting form, cover letter, and résumé to:
Broome DDSOO Human Resources Office
249 Glenwood Road
Binghamton, NY 13905
Please reference the above EOA #231231 - 2 - CR in all correspondence.